Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a fuel cell in the trunk, does NHRA rules state that sheet metal must separate the trunk space (ie. package tray and rear seat)? What gauge metal does it need to be? Does it need to be completely welded?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes, you must seperate the drivers compartment from the trunk with either .024 steel or .032 aluminum. It doesn't have to be welded just sealed. I will pop rivit mine to the frameing and the package tray and use some type of sealer around the edges. Tech inspectors at my track just look to make sure their isn't daylight coming thru around the sheet metal.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you lay carpet over it? do they make you pull the carpet to show them the joints?

·
Registered
365 Posts
i did mine with steel.

the package tray and behind the rear seat and they passed it, the battery was relocated to the trunk and they make you do the same mods.

but once i had my complete interior removed i noticed that fumes liquid ect could also move into the drivers area through the c pillar or sail panels and through the rear window regulator area were the wheel house is on a 2 door.

so i cheated and used foam in this area but it should be bulkheaded off with metal of the right thickness,it's you who needs the extra time not the inspectors.

and you might get a picky inspector and he'll zap ya.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we pulled the rear suspension/rear end last weekend. The jack stands are on the rear frame rail. We just jacked a slick we had layin around up into the well just to see what it is going to look like. Almost looks like we're jackin it up by the tire huh?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts