Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonder what kind of shocks you'd recomend, because I currently have crappy air shocks out back and stockers, or soemthing close, up front and it's time for some new ones. I plan to race it so I'd like to get a set up that would help me in that area, I could care less about the ride quality so recomond anything you want, also I was told that if I have the air shocks that it is a pretty good sign that the springs are gonners too, is that true? If so would you recomend SS springs or what? Any comments or questions welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Shocks are taylored for the car and the application. Things like horsepower, transmission, tire size, weight, wheelbase, type of suspension all factor into the shock selection and design. There are some very expensive shocks that work very well and some not so expensive that work very well.

If you're going drag racing then a single or double adjustable is the first choice. The second choice may be whether you want a rebuildable shock or a less expensive non-rebuildable. A popular choice, currently, is the Rancho 9000 series single adjustable/non-rebuildable. They are around $150.00 for the pair. Another popular choice would be the QA1's R series. It's a single adjustable billet aluminum. I hear they work well. Another popular choice is from AFCO. They offer single and adjustable and are considered some of the best on the market. They cost a bit more depending on single or double adjustability. Bill Reilly sells AFCO's custom taylored for Mopars.

This month's edition of National Dragster has an extensive write-up on performance shocks.

Cal-Tracs recommend Rancho 9000's in back and QA1's in front.

Most stock eliminator guys I've spoken with swear by AFCO's. Expect to spend about $700 dollars on two double adjustable shocks.

Alot of people compensate for weak springs by installing air shocks. You really don't know what kind of condition your springs are in until you let the air out of the shocks.

If your going racing and plan on putting any kind of power to the pavement then invest in the cal-tracs with split mono leaks and ranchos. You can have the whole set-up for less than $1000.00. If you want mopar S/S springs then get a pinion snubber and extra long heavy duty shocks.

Everybody I've read or talked to says they picked up 60FT times by switching to the Cal-trac set-up from the S/S set-up. If you are going to a national meet soon, take a look at what all those muscle cars in stock and super stock are running with those leaf springs-Cal tracs on all of them. You only need to watch one day to discover dozens of sportsman cars pulling the front wheels with 9" slicks by using Cal-Tracs and adjustable shocks.

Shop around, compare, there are about a dozen manufacturers making racing shocks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the cal-tracs are really worth it? I don't have tons of money sitting around so I'm wondering what I shold do first, or what i should change. Would you recomend going with the cal-tracs and mono springs or what, the car will probably need new springs because I can remeber when the car would lie pretty low with out any air in them so what would you do at this point when money is an issue? I also plan to swap in a b-body 8 3/4 soon too if that has any affect.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i'm willing to spend some on the suspension right now since it needs it, and it's money well spent. should i get the cal-tracs and the 9000s and leave my stock springs in or should i get SS springs and QA1s?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get the Cal-Tracs with the split mono spring and the Rancho 9000 shocks and then put a pair of CE 09/10" on the front they are about $39.00 each and the Cal-Trac system is around $800.00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts