Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, thank you to everyone who contributed their advice to my questions on the Ford 8.8 Rear thread in this Forum.  Obviously, this is the place to find the experts :)....

Quick Question, I'd like to bounce this off the people here, and see if this makes sense.  I've found a reputable place to shorten the rear, and based on dimensions from the Tech Pages, put this drawing together.  Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here we go. 

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/tacfire11/RearShorten.jpg

If I've missed something, or if you have any advice for changes in measurements please let me know.

Thanks.....

G

·
The axle in the pics is upside down. The pinion offset on an Explorer 8.8 is too the passenger side. Are you trying to achieve stock A-body width? I was wondering what width it would end up at (mounting surface to mounting surface) if you shortened the longer "driver side" of the housing to accomadate a shorter "passenger side axle shaft. I'm thinking it would be close to factory A body width and it wouldn't require two custom shafts. You could use two stock passenger side shafts.

One of these days I'll do all the math on this and see if it works out. A 31 splined, 8.8 inch ring geared, posi, disc braked axle that fits an A body for under $500! Sounds like a winner to me. ;D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks... appreciate your very helpful advice.... I've been wrapped around the Axle :), trying to come up with a measurement for the axles. It's amazing how we miss the simply answers looking us right in the face doh

Thanks...

·
Registered
46 Posts
what measurement are you pondering? The shortening of a ford 8.8 explorer is what i'm doing. Its a pretty simple procedure. I am having 3''cut off of the driverside axle tube, having it welded back together. Now you need another passengerside axle for the shortend tube. Reweld the perches to the right places. Im not sure how the shocks will mount yet. I havent gone that far.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mount the shocks the same as a 8 3/4 rear.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
notenuffcash said:
what measurement are you pondering? The shortening of a ford 8.8  explorer is what i'm doing. Its a pretty simple procedure. I am having 3''cut off of the driverside axle tube, having it welded back together. Now you need another passengerside axle for the shortend tube.  Reweld the perches to the right places. Im not sure how the shocks will mount yet. I havent gone that far.
I thought the Pinion offset was to the Left (Driver Side), so if I cut 3" off the DTube, the Pinion will be offset some 5" to the left. Do you mean the Right (Passenger Tube)? I thought I had this rear sitting upright on the jack stands. I don't want to seem stupid, but do I have my brakes installed the wrong the way :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have  a 91 explorer rear. The drivers side is 3" longer. I dont know about all ford rears, but mine came out of the explorer with the axle on top of the leafs. With my perches on the bottom of the axle, looking at the rear of the diff, the left tube is longer. As for how your brakes sit, I dont know. Mine has drums. 3" is the magic # for this rear, the difference in the length of the tubes and the  two axles. Where is your vent tube? Is it on or near the top? Did you take the calipers off? It could be possible you mixed the calipers from one side to the other. Just trying to orient how your axle is sitting in the pics. At any rate, offsetting the the pinion any more than it already is is the WRONG way to go. The perches have to come off any way right? What is the length of the rear from axle face to axle face? Take the disc brakes off to be sure of this measurement.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate the info.. the Rear originally came out of a 89 Bronco' (Big Bronco), and had 11" Drums. I then bought the 95' Explorer Disc brakes which bolted right on to the flanges. As for the measurements (she's 60.25" flange to flange). As best I can tell the Spring perches are on the bottom and sat on the leaf springs as well with this rear. When I took the axles out, there are two lenghts 31 1/16", and the 33 3/16". The way I have rear oriented on the stands is with the Brake Lines on top, I'm not aware of any OEM that ran the brake lines under the rear towards the ground, so that was my thinking anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks like a slightly different rear than mine.(in width) Unless you want to got to a custom axle, you have no choice but to shorten the tube the difference between the two axle lengths so you can use two passenger or driver side axles, whichever is shorter. That would be 2 1/8" according to your axle lengths. That will give you a measurement of 58 1/8 " flange to flange. Is that going to work for your car? That is about 2" longer than a stock A body rear. Plus your discs have a thicker flange compared to drums. I know that in my 72 dart that would be pretty tight with my rally wheels.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went and looked at my axle, compared to how mine sits, yours looks upside down. I cant see your fluid fill plug, the offset is the opposite of mine. I would hazzard a guess that your axle sat under the springs on the bronco. The first reply to this was green 73 and he noticed it was upside down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.