Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to install my MSD 6AL ignition box and would like to see where you guys installed yours, Im thinking on the passenger side inner fender or under the dash and heater box on the passenger side. What do you think?
Thanks,
Shawn santa4

·
Registered
490 Posts
well, i didn't really wanna put it there, but i wanted to extend the wires even less. I see alot of them installed  in this manner. It was very easy to access the bottoms of the holes

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
73swinger,
Wow I can barely see it in that small pic. Do you have all the wires running toward and along the fire wall?

·
Registered
490 Posts
ya , sorry for the pic. I had to resize it and my program is kinda screwy. The wires all run back towards the fire wall and tie into the harness there, this one's better

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
73swinger,
Do you have any issues with your blaster 2 coil being on its side? I keep reading that they are supposed to be vertical and not horizantal. I currently have mine laying on its side but I have not used it yet. From what I've been reading is that the coil does will heat up and have problems cooling itself because it is an oil filled coil. I think I'm going to relocate mine to the passenger side inner fender up by my horns somewhere to keep the thing from crapping out.
Thanks for the larger pics the really helped. santa4

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well to be honest, mine hasn't been fired yet either. I'm still waiting until i put the new driveshaft in, right now there's no slip yoke in the transmission, no exhaust either (but I'm not opposed to firing it with open headers). I really never heard that laying it on its side could be a problem, I just used the factory location. I know I've seen quite a few cars with it there.

ANYONE ELSE COMMENT ON THAT????

G

·
It will fit under the dash between the ash tray and the glove box. You'll have to move the flasher but that's really nothing. Two bolts down through the bottom of the dash and it's in there, tucked away and invisible.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Our MSD6AL is installed almost exactly in the same location as the one in the pics above. Our Blaster 2 coil is likewise side-mounted on the standard location on our Performer RPM manifold.. It has been like this for over 3 months of daily driving, with all of the starts/stops that this entails..and we have had no problems...

I was not aware about the vertical mount preference for oil filled coils.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ok seriously, HOW IMPORTANT IS THE COIL LOCATION????? The factory put them here and they ran fine for years. Is the MSD coil really that much more sensitive??

·
Registered
759 Posts
73swinger said:
Ok seriously, HOW IMPORTANT IS THE COIL LOCATION????? The factory put them here and they ran fine for years. Is the MSD coil really that much more sensitive??
Exactly. I am wondering the same thing. OEM coils lasted for years living on their engine manifold mount. Is the MSD Blaster 2 coil that much more fragile..?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've been in this hobby for over 35 years and I've never heard anything about not laying a coil on its side. When I bought my MSD coil there wasn't anything in their instructions either.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the install instructions that came with my MSD Blaster 2 coil, it also mentions this in the MSD 6AL instructions, and if you go to the MSD web site it also has a frequently asked questions type of information that also says to mount in a vertical position and to keep away from heat.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
73swinger, I also read in the MSD 6AL install instructions that the purple and green distributor trigger wires should not be ran seperate from the other wires off of the box, so you may want to rethink that and run them up toward the front of your car and then across to the dist.
73swinger said:
ya , sorry for the pic. I had to resize it and my program is kinda screwy. The wires all run back towards the fire wall and tie into the harness there, this one's better

·
Registered
759 Posts
Well, it looks as if the MSD Blaster 2 coil should NOT be mounted horizontally. This coil is oil cooled,and there is an air bubble space in the oil in the coil. If the coil is mounted horizontally, the air bubble may cause part of the coil's windings to be exposed Above the cooling oil, and this could cause the coil to overheat and fail, especially if used in conjunction with an MSD electronic ignition (so sez the MSD website FAQs)

To remedy this, either re-mount the coil horizontally, or get a MSD High Vibration Coil (pn 8222), where coil mounting position is inconsequential.

http://www.msdignition.com/coil_blaster_3_8222.htm

I will be ordering a High Vibration Coil for myself. They are only $45.00 from Summit or Jegs, and for the money, I think it's worth the peace of mind of not having to worry If I already damaged my existing Blaster 2 coil to the point of certain upcoming failure..And besides, the Epoxy-Encased Windings construction of the High Vibration coil can only be beneficial considering that our engine has a fairly rough idle compared to most cars out there.

·
Registered
593 Posts
To keep the stock look under my hood mine is installed under my battery tray, you can't really see it unless your looking for it. It's been mounted there for over 10 years with no problems....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
PinkE said:
To keep the stock look under my hood mine is installed under my battery tray, you can't really see it unless your looking for it.  It's been mounted there for over 10 years with no problems....
That's a great idea. I also wanted to hide it for factory appearance. Mine is mounted to the face of the heater box on the RR. The Mopar box is to the right of the HI-6 box for backup. The remote CD player is under the heater box. I will be doing something similar with the Dart.

Tom

1 - 20 of 39 Posts