Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I purchased a fast idle solenoid from a guy off of Moparts, by the name of Jim, Now I need to know before I wire it up, how should the solenoid be powered?
I have a wire that I believe was to the old 4 barrel electric choke. When the key is off there is no power to it, but when I turn the ignition switch to the on position it has power, I haven't checked to see if it has power durring start up or while the engine is running, but I would think it has power while the engine is running, because the wire is hot when the key is in the on position.
Also should the mechanical choke be connected while the fast idle solenoid is bolted on and working? If so should the choke blades be completely shut while not running?
tnku Shawn

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, do I just install the fast idle solenoid and back off the curb idle untill it it barely touches the cam, and then adjust the fast idle screw over the solenoid to make it work right ???
Is there anybody who knows what else needs to be done before I attempt to mess with it ??? I have a 2 1/2" thick hardbound covered 1973 Chiltons manual that tells me how to adjust the curb and fast idle screws, but I really need to know if there is anything else I need to do before, like disconnecting the mechanical choke ? or maybe I don't need to do anything except run power to the solenoid, and make the idle screw adjustments ??? :-\
Any knowledgable help is appreciated.
Thanks, Shawn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts