Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on running some torq thrust D's 15x4.5 to keep the vintage look on the dart w/widened steelies on the back. What is a good skinny tire to run on the front? Will be a bracket car that will see some weekend driving? Is something like a goodyear frontrunner totally out of the question on the street? Thanks for any input.

Drew

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the 26" drag eagles that im going to try and put my 67 Barracuda with hooker fenderwell headers. I would not consider driving on our Michigan roads with these tires, the sidewalls are week and I think a pothole would blow them out immediately. I have seen these tires get barked up just loading and unloading of trailers!( My weld draglite rims are powdercoated gloss black)

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
70 Dustpan said:
165SR/15's make good front runners. Also known as VW tires.
[]{} I have Dayton Metrics on the 67 and on my 68 mustang.  Size 165R/15.  (I use Bridgestone/Firestone, maker of Dayton, because I get a huge discount.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
BFGoodrich now has a 155/80/r15 Radial T/A w/ raised white letters that are the equivelent of a 165R15.
I am considering them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Skinny but could still be driveable: 205/70-15 will fit with a 4-1/4" backspacing. If the rim has less then a 205/65-15 will fit w/o rubbing. DAMHIK (don't ask me how I know)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, just ordered a set of the new mickey thompson sportsman raidals, 15x6. Anybody tried these?

Drew

·
Registered
971 Posts
Just remember, on the track you have ample room for stoppage. On the street you generally don't. With 60% of your braking going on at the front and cutting your tire contact patch in the front to a bare minimum, that could be bad. I use the skinnies for the track and bolt on real street rubber for the street. Sometimes, I understand, it's fun to show off wearing your "gonna eat ya" stuff, just be careful. One less Mopar is a bad thing, compared to one less Chevy.

·
Registered
305 Posts
drew54 said:
Thanks guys, just ordered a set of the new mickey thompson sportsman raidals, 15x6.  Anybody tried these?

Drew

That's what I have for fronts...26X6.00R15LT. I have the 26X12.00R15LT's in the back!

·
Registered
539 Posts
440turner said:
I have the 26" drag eagles that im going to try and put  my 67 Barracuda with hooker fenderwell headers. I would not consider driving on our Michigan roads with these tires, the sidewalls are week and I think a pothole would blow them out immediately. I have seen these tires get barked up just loading and unloading of trailers!( My weld draglite rims are powdercoated gloss black)
iv got 26" front runners & Hooker fender exits in mt 70 duster & they rubb quite bad, im going to have to get a smaller front tyrer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts