Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you'se ran w/ a remote oil filter system ? Recommendations ? Looking at pics of the early "A" header install......same tubes on my car , but I don't have a 90 degree filter mounting.....I see much pain and suffering for a simple oil change.
Is there a kit that works . The ones I have used in the past recommend no more than 36" hoses , and mounting a remote filter housing with short hoses doesn't look too promising under the hood of a '65 dart.
Thanks in advance.
J.S.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The two different filter relocation kits I've made somewhat serious inquiries about (from Summit and NAPA) both feature 30 inch hoses. I haven't checked to see just where that would locate the filter, but the guy at my local NAPA store said he could make hoses any length I want. I kinda like Jim's idea, if I understood correctly - the filter winds up in the front wheelwell, ahead of the tire??? Should be super easy to get at! I'd just been ASSuming the filter should be in the engine compartment - like maybe on the radiator support.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The two times I have done this , I had the luxury of mounting the filters on the inside of the frame rail ...ahead of the engine.
With headers and the location of the filter boss on this car , it will require a bit more thought.
I will look into inside the wheel well , it seems to show the most promise.
I know that there are hose length considerations and I know that you need to avoid restrictive fittings and elbows etc. when plumbing.
I was hoping some one had done this before and could post a pic. But it will be done......I just need to figure out how.
J.S.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put mine on the frame rail between my front bumper and my front passenger tire.  Almost underneath where the catch can would go. 

I got sick of it making a mess on my headers when I changed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Back in the day when I had a small block in my 62'  I used a remote filter adapter on the side of the engine with a 2" and 3" pipe comming out strait with a 90deg fitting on each pipe.  ram my hoses over to the inner fender well and into a remote filter mounted to the fender on the inside.  worked well with push-loc hose. Heck,I think I still have the whole setup floating around here somewhere.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I posted this in another thread......here is the finished product. factory 90 degree mount , Transdapt remote filter kit , fabbed a bracket and bought some fittings and stainless braided. We're good to go.
J.S.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
25 Posts
is your car right hand drive?

You in Aussie/OZ/ New Zeland/??

I see a vacum controlled water valve, does your car have factory a/c??

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Standard Yank left hand drive. I am in Minnesota , U.S.A. It does have factory a.c. , but no compressor.
I will see if it is an option to get it re-installed in the future , but I don't know if it will be practical with the motor I am planning on. Air would be nice , but is at the back of the list of priorities at this point.
J.S.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am nowhere near the last word on these things , but I think you could do the remote filters with out the 90 degree adapter.
As for it's use with headers , I think it is mandatory and still a sonofabitch to change filters.
I will be paying more attention to under hood areas in the future , because I am really green with what you can and cannot do on these cars.
J.S.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tubtar, I really like the overall look of your installatio, but what are the TWO filters for? At first I thought "OIL and TRANS filters", but
there's only the one pair of hoses. I'm big on phrases like "No kill like OVERKILL!!! I think I would trade a filter for an overflow container, though. The factory 90 degree adaptors Lee mentioned have little appeal for me after reading several threads of problems
with gaskets and with getting the gaskets in the first place. And on top of that, unless the filter hangs fairly straight down, a filter
change is still gonna be an oily mess without a lift and elevated catch equipment. The remote filter mount lets the filter hang down
for less spillage at filter change time. the big block engines filters stick straight out, but in front of and below practically everything and i
have no problem with major spillage. What I'd really like to see is a non messy filter change for a slant six in the factory position!!!
(what were they thinking?)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess I see very little benefit of this hokey-looking set-up.
If I'm to read it correctly, it's all about a little oil spillage and not wanting to get dirty??
Oh my, we can't do that while working on a car!!! :D

I can see benefits from a dry sump/external oiling standpoint, but not much advantage in a street usage.
Looks like you're inviting MORE leaks to me.

Just run the 90 degree stock adaptor and be done with it.

Mark.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mark Nixon said:
I guess I see very little benefit of this hokey-looking set-up.
If I'm to read it correctly, it's all about a little oil spillage and not wanting to get dirty??
Oh my, we can't do that while working on a car!!! :D

I can see benefits from a dry sump/external oiling standpoint, but not much advantage in a street usage.
Looks like you're inviting MORE leaks to me.

Just run the 90 degree stock adaptor and be done with it.

Mark.
Mark, Your opinion is noted. However, dear sir, YOU should note opinions are like rectal orfices!
They are all different, & they all stink except MINE!
For the record, I don't mind getting dirty, greasy, oily, etc, etc. I do mind trying to keep
from spilling the better part of a quart of used oil all over the side of my engine and my driveway.
If you can change my filters better, faster, and/or with less spillage, come on over
and show me how a true master does it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm, with the 90 degree adaptor, i admit, if I forget to put a shop towel on the
top of the exhaust pipe, I do spill a little on the pipe;
when changing the Long filter.

I have a small plastic pan, that I slide under the pass side, before jacking the car up,
i reach in and remove the filter from above.

I am 6 foot tall, so maybe I can reach the filter easier;
but also have a fat belly,Laugh out Loud. ;)

I rarely spill oil on the ground, but normally there is a poormans creeper under the car,
and the old cardboard box that my hot water heater came in, absorbs a lot of oil.

Fat me, making the suspension groan. Haha

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
46 Posts
I personally like my set up. I have to get down on one knee and reach inbetween the fenderwell and the bumper. It's as easy as that. It's especially nice with changing the oil as frequently as you do if you race the car.

No jacking it up, no mess on the headers, no extra rags, carboard or plastic baggies, and I can do it even if the car is hot. -0*(

·
Registered
24 Posts
64ragtop said:
They are all different, & they all stink except MINE!
Mine stinks like mints and tastes like vanillia ice cream, none better than mine!

64ragtop said:
..I do mind trying to keep from spilling the better part of a quart of used oil all over the side of my engine and my driveway.
If you can change my filters better, faster, and/or with less spillage, come on over
and show me how a true master does it.
It's not Rocket Science, use rags and a piece of cardboard, like has already been suggested.

More sage advice from "The True Master".  %)

Mark.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.