Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got tired of the trans tunnel not being finished.  Spent the other day shaping the tin for it and today I took the plunge and started welding... and welding... and welding.  The entire tunnel extension has two beads all the way around it because the two sheets overlapped about 1/2".  Just couldn't get myself to leave it sloppy.  It would have been plenty strong, but since I messed with it, if the trans ever goes and makes it through the carbon shield and into the floor, I'm the first one they'll start pointing fingers at.  So, it's pretty solid LOL!  I have to say it came out much better than I thought it would.  It was looking pretty "hacked" for a while there, but things came together pretty well.  The top half of the firewall isn't welded in, as it makes for great access to the under dash area.  I'm going to hold out as long as possible before I weld that shut.  I know there's lots of people out there who would like to tackle this kind of job but aren't sure how to go about it.  It's not that hard - maybe these pics will inspire someone.


[attachment deleted by admin]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Looks nice, I may do that with mine since I'm already there.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy crap that's a lot of fuel regs!!!

Not sure of the guage - it's .038" I think. I wanted 19 or 20 guage, but it was one of those "yeah - this is what you want" deals. I got it home and it was a couple thou shy of what I wanted, but it works.

Thanks for all the comps guys - I can't wait to see how it looks with paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Looks nice guys! I kind of like the "screwed" look.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks good Stu - that's how I did mine for years and it worked great! 

If you look close you can see how I opened up the tunnel. I was trying to create more space to get to the trans bolts. That carbon shield takes up a lot of space so between the trans and tunnel and getting those bolts in and out is a royal bitch! The firewall is kicked back a bit and the tunnel is opened up so it should be easy access to get to them. I might even be able to move the motor back a hair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Get 'er as low and back as possible. I can't wait to see some more pics of that beast Cisco!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Ciscodog said:
That looks good Stu - that's how I did mine for years and it worked great! 

If you look close you can see how I opened up the tunnel.  I was trying to create more space to get to the trans bolts.  That carbon shield takes up a lot of space so between the trans and tunnel and getting those bolts in and out is a royal bitch!  The firewall is kicked back a bit and the tunnel is opened up so it should be easy access to get to them.  I might even be able to move the motor back a hair. 
i moved mine back 7inch's....

[attachment deleted by admin]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Ciscodog said:
That looks good Stu - that's how I did mine for years and it worked great! 

If you look close you can see how I opened up the tunnel.  I was trying to create more space to get to the trans bolts.  That carbon shield takes up a lot of space so between the trans and tunnel and getting those bolts in and out is a royal bitch!  The firewall is kicked back a bit and the tunnel is opened up so it should be easy access to get to them.  I might even be able to move the motor back a hair. 
looks super clean :) since you're already fabbing stuff up have you considering creating some small holes so you can access the bellhousing bolts from inside the car? Thats how i set mine up and it makes taking the trans loose a hundred times easier. I just pull the carpet back to access the holes and i can have all the bellhousing bolts out in just a matter of minutes.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The firewall is a bit farther back, and the tunnel opening is larger so I should be able to get to them very easily. I was going to do exactly what you desdcribed, but I decided to go this more complicated route instead LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
thats cool, just dont forget that carbon fiber shield uses those longer bellhousing bolts with the 12 point heads on them, so you'll have to use a box end 12 point wrench, or a 12 point socket and ratchet if you've got room, OR replace those 12 point bolts with nice grade 8 hex head ones. I got all fired up to install my shield and ended up having to go out and buy some 12 point sockets b/c i didnt have any :-\ The only other time i've ever used those stupid 12 point sockets is to take loose the rear main seal retainer on BB mopars.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey fastcars - what's the scoop on the midplate? I assume there's a ring to space the flexplate back from the crankshaft? I wonder if I need to go to that length with mine? Hmmm...
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GON_RACIN said:
thats cool, just dont forget that carbon fiber shield uses those longer bellhousing bolts with the 12 point heads on them, so you'll have to use a box end 12 point wrench, or a 12 point socket and ratchet if you've got room, OR replace those 12 point bolts with nice grade 8 hex head ones. I got all fired up to install my shield and ended up having to go out and buy some 12 point sockets b/c i didnt have any :-\ The only other time i've ever used those stupid 12 point sockets is to take loose the rear main seal retainer on BB mopars.
LOL - yeah I know. Bakaruda and I put that shield on in the summer of 2005 and it was a royal pain in the ass! That was really the driving force in doing it this way. That's the bummer though - I could move the motor back really easily now but I probably won't because I want to be able to access the bolts. I'm getting too old to be fighting those bolts all day long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Ciscodog said:
Hey fastcars - what's the scoop on the midplate?  I assume there's a ring to space the flexplate back from the crankshaft?  I wonder if I need to go to that length with mine?  Hmmm...
the mid plate is only 1/4 inch so i always check converter engagement....or use a spacer...or just have the converter built to use with a mi plate.....the plate itself is just another way to stabalize everything...and transfer all power to the ground [i have plans to eventually have about 1200hp in her]......i guess you have to look at it the engine is being held in the vary front...then the tailshaft...yes the tranny is bolted to the block but that's a lot of weight hanging and also creating some stress.......but it's not really nessesary...i just look at it as another small detail in the quest for a fast mopar...that can also last..
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top