Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's the best place to buy a set of .890 torsion bars? I've noticed every place seems to have raised their price on these. What the hell man?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I just bought a set from Mancini. Dan says the prices listed on the website are old and they are using a different supplier so the prices are going up. BTW the .990 bars are no linger available for lack of interest. I ordered .890's last week and they were almost $300. Ouch

Tom

·
Registered
267 Posts
thats weird, i just bought .990s from summit a month or two ago. all their bars were $149. I did notice that some places had some bars that were $300, but keep looking around.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. So far, $259 is the cheapest I found. This sucks. I swear a couple months ago, they were all over the place for $149.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you replace your torsion bars, it is a must to replace the clips and seals as well? My clips looks fine. The rubber dust boots looks good also. Has anyone ever tried the polyurethane ones from energy suspension?

·
Registered
704 Posts
yea i also bought 990s about 2 months ago for 150, although i noticed 2 out of the 7 or so bars were this price, the rest were 300

·
Registered
243 Posts
i bought 1.04's from my local dodge dealer, i think they were $108.00 "racer net pricing" i thought it was a good deal... he had to order 'em in but worth the wait.

joel

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found out whats going on with the price. I just talked with a gentleman at a speedshop. I guess the old vender chrysler used to have make there torsion bars stopped making them for whatever reason. And the new vendor that makes them is charging twice as much? So, as soon as the old bars are sold out, the price goes up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
supply / demand boom[]

G

·
I was going to hold off and buy a new set of .092 bars for my E-body Cuda in January or February. After reading this post this morning I ordered a set from Jegs today for $149.99. I noticed a couple of days ago that Summit's price for the same bars/part# was $299.99 and thought that was kind of odd. Guess I know why now.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone think I could get away with running the .870 bars in my application? It will end up with a low deck stroker with aluminum heads/intake and headers. Shocks will be CE. Will the .870 bars be to light a spring rate for my 66? It will be a street/strip car and ride qaulity won't matter to me that much so the stock /6 bars are out of the question. I just don't want to die driving it on the street. Any thoughts would be excellent!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
My cuda was a 318 air car, and had the 870 bars, the same as a 340 car. I removed all the air components, PS and PB. I installed a 400 with an aluminum intake and water pump and headers. I calculated the weight difference and figure I am about equal to the original set up. I have been driving the car and the front bars are fine. The car takes bumps well and doesn't wallow or dive. With the Super Stock springs in the back, it is by no means a handler, but I think the bars are just fine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Got my .920'' bars from my local dodge dealer (in montreal). I paid 180$ can for them and 28$ for the seals and clips. That was a month ago, after I tried to order them from summit at 149$, got an email 48 hours later saying that the price just went up to 300$. Plus I saved shipping (summit charges shipping to canada). Cant wait to try them next summer. Car should handle pretty good with addco front and rear sway bars, .920'' T bars, frame connectors, 17'' rims, 225/45/17 front, 245/45/17 rear 0/

Fred

·
Registered
320 Posts
Dang it, I need at least two more sets of these for my Charger and Duster, and i don't have the $$ right now. o[

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
qkcuda said:
My cuda was a 318 air car, and had the 870 bars, the same as a 340 car.  I removed all the air components, PS and PB.  I installed a 400 with an aluminum intake and water pump and headers.  I calculated the weight difference and figure I am about equal to the original set up.  I have been driving the car and the front bars are fine.  The car takes bumps well and doesn't wallow or dive.  With the Super Stock springs in the back, it is by no means a handler, but I think the bars are just fine.
What shocks are you running up front? Are you running aluminum heads? Is your battery up front or out back? Your really givng me hope I may be able to save a couple hundred $ and just get the .870s. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Shocks are a set of old Konis that were on the car when I bought it. They were still pretty tight so I left them on. I have iron 452 heads and the battery is in the factory location.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Tywebb2 said:
I was going to hold off and buy a new set of .092 bars for my E-body Cuda in January or February.  After reading this post this morning I ordered a set from Jegs today for $149.99.  I noticed a couple of days ago that Summit's price for the same bars/part# was $299.99 and thought that was kind of odd.  Guess I know why now. 
Hey Tywebb! Did you get any indication from Jegs that they were backordered? The automated email I got after I confirmed my order for .092 bars indicated they were on backorder. I'll be pissed if they come back with a jacked up price or on eternal backorder.

G

·
Duster440...I phoned in my order and they CS rep told me they are a "special" order item and that I should have them in 7-10 days. I am just crossing my fingers and hoping I don't get a call/email about any price increase. Hopefully UPS or FedEx just drops them off and all is good? At this point if their website still lists them for $149.99 I think it is looking good?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts