Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question, which source is recomended for A-body kits? M/P, Summit, Jegs, I've read that some are better than others. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i just bought a kit from mopar and as far as i see the only good part was the spring box. the spring mounts are the wrong size(had to weld in some spacers) and went with sliders for the rear. see if you can piece it out first

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the rason for my post. I've read so many articles, and threads that I am not sure which one is best. Some of the members have the talent and/or ability to build there own, I just asoon try to buy one that works. thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i work at a chrysler dealership so i get a discount. buy your mounts from summit (check your center hole dia.) get the hangers from mopar or just suspension. and make the boxes your self. strange 426 has a set of plans ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info jet-taz. Details on making the boxes would be a great help. I saw the pads in the summit catalog at reasonable price. Learned about the center hole sizes from a budy when we did a rearend change in his Duster, if you dont specify they send what ever is close at hand.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I am about to move my springs in mt Duster , but the MP boxes look kinda wimpy and i would love it if someone could post specs so i can weld up my own. I doesn't make sense to me to buy the kit for a few hundred bucks when the mounts are wrong and the shackles are no good and the boxes are so thin.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wish that I would have kept all the measurements for the ones I made for 3/16" plate. Here is what I can remember:
Inside spacing was 3.125" (width of front spring bushing). The box was 4.875" tall (distance from your floor pan to the bottom of the rail. The length was 12" something, this was the straight line distance from the face of the original front hanger mount to rail (measured at the floor). I cut a strip of material 3.125" wide approx. 36" long. This makes the top and the vertical face at the closed end. The the sides are 12" (+- ?) by the 4.875". I cut all 4 side plates and drilled them to match the existing 5/8" in the frame rail. This is an alignment hole. You can use this hole to match up the new boxes after the inside is cut out. I left the outside vertical of the stock rail. Drill all 4 sides clamped together. Then I drilled a new srping bolt hole 0.75" back from the location of the stock hanger hole location and up 1". Also, drilled another hole down lower and back 1.25". This gives you some options on location . By drilling these holes together you can get things lined up when you weld. By putting some threaded rod in the holes with nuts on each side you can hold the sides properly spaced and aligned while you weld in the top and back strip of 3.125" material. You can angle cut the sides to match the rail were it curves if you like. I can only supply a picture of the installed box. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
459 Posts
jet-taz said:
strange 426 has a set of plans ;)
I wish I did! I bought my kit from Mancini Racing and it came with spring mounts that the center hole was the right size....The MP box is on the thin side but all you have to do is get all the measurements right, weld everything solid then when you put the bolt for the spring through the box, put a grade 8 washer on both sides, and weld them in place to keep the bolts from wallowing out the holes in the box...

Ryan

·
Registered
283 Posts
first the boxes are not weak. yes the perches are wrong. and the hangers are hd with hd boots. i just didn't need them, as to mancine racing they might send you the mopar units. r i think i still got ones someone sent me. can e-mail if intrested. jet-taz

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I bought my kit from Mancini and my perches were good. I used sliders instead of the shackles also. I still have to weld washers around the eye holes. Put lots of weld on them.

Tom

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all your imput on the relocation kits. I'm leaning towards the Mancinni kits. I have dealt with them on some other parts. By the way Tom your project looks awsome.

Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
On my 68 cuda I installed the Mopar boxes - 18 years ago - and thy are still holding up strong.  I havent seen a set recently so I can't comment on the thickness of them.  In 1988 I thought they looked OK or else I would have fabbed up new pieces.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The last set I put on a car are on the gold car in my sig. I just bought the medal and messured twice and cut once!!!

It's really easy to make your own set. I did it for about $15-$20. Call me cheap! ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts