Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some measuring anticipating my spring relocation kit. But I still am not sold on cutting the frame. So I started brainstorming and wondered if something like this would work. The spring mount would drop 2 1/8" in the front; and rear shackles would mount as normal relocate. Any engineers in the group? What effect would the leaf spring mounting 2 inches lower have on traction, stability, etc?

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm sure that it would work but, you raise up the car +2". Cutting into the frame isn't that bad at all. I left the outside of the rail and cut out the inside. I had no trouble at all and it was my first time. I even made my own boxes out of 3/16 plate and welded them together. I also moved the readend back 3/4". If you can weld, you shouldn't have any trouble.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1DART440 said:
I'm sure that it would work but, you raise up the car +2". Cutting into the frame isn't that bad at all. I left the outside of the rail and cut out the inside. I had no trouble at all and it was my first time. I even made my own boxes out of 3/16 plate and welded them together. I also moved the readend back 3/4". If you can weld, you shouldn't have any trouble.
i did the same but cut the outside of the frame

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jamesdart said:
i was always under the impresion if you lowered the eye it made the car hook harder
Well ; thats what I was thinkin. The same concept of an "old school" traction bar. But I'm no engineer. I may be WAAY off. :) Thats what is great about this site; eventually someone may come along and say. "I tried it; don't do it; big damage!" ( not that I'm discounting the other replys) The motor stage is WAAY off in the future; so it's not like I can experiment with it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
my personal opinion is that the spring relocation kit was designed how many years ago? guys AND GALS.....have been doing this for years and the kits continue to sell out. It doesnt look like you will be doing anything to hurt the frame. If you find out that it doesnt work, well get a relocation kit and install it. If what you do MAY affect the frame to the point that you would need new frame rails to reverse what you have done, then maybe reconsider and get a R&D car. -0*(

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just cut the frame and get on wth it, as long as the relocation box is made of strong enough plate it will not weaken the frame at all and it's the best place to mount the springs in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts