Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the consideration of having a street/strip car, I of course want performance/traction/responsiveness as well as ridability.

I desperately want super stock springs, 50/50 shocks in the back with 90/10's in the front, and a set of light weight big block torsion bars.

But I also want a decent ride. I know how gushy the car will be with the set up I want, and I know how unrealistic of a daily driver that set up is as well.

Has anyone used this set up for a street/strip car, and still driven the car several hundred miles a month?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I have 3400 lb. automatic SS springs, with long shocks, and 870 (340) torsion bars in the front with stock shocks. The ride is fine, the rear springs take bumps well, and the front bars are plenty firm enough. It is not a handler. With the extra arch on the SS springs, the back end heels over pretty good going around corners, but I built it more for the quarter mile than the curves.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
I might go with adjustables on the front vs straight 90/10s and just set them to 90/10 for the strip trips. I dont care for the way the 90/10s react in street driving personally.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Capt Jack,

Do you have adjustable shocks right now? Or are you running straight 90/10's in your car?

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
adjustables.  most of the time set to 60/40.  I also have the big block torsions on mine.  the ride is a little stiff, but overall very doable/survivable even if not what Id call comfortable in all circumstances...but mostly thats because of the crappy roads in my area.

I used straight 90/10s on the old GTX I had eons ago.  I'd done a bunch of crap to let the front rise on accelleration...which was fun on a track or stoplight but caused a few hairy moments on the street.  I always recommend against them for streeters anymore.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i ran 2800 lb springs in the rear and the stock slant bars up front.
no sway bars.

and some long shocks out of a mid 80's ford 4x4.

the shocks up front were probably just normal granny shocks.

it weighed with driver 2900 lbs with close to 57 43 wieght distribution.

you have to drive it like it won't stop or turn.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I ended up putting air shocks on the back of my 68 Dart I had years ago. Put just enough air for the ride height you want and have alittle bounce. Another trick I learned was to run separate lines and have alittle more pessure on the left side to counter act the torque.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Capt Jack said:
I might go with adjustables on the front vs straight 90/10s and just set them to 90/10 for the strip trips.  I dont care for the way the 90/10s react in street driving personally.
I agree, with 90/10 on the street you get a harder bounce or bottom out feeling over bumps. Use a gas shock up front and you should be fine. []{}

·
Registered
175 Posts
i run dearched SSs with kybs on the back of mine. i think the back is actually a little soft for the street. i would like to get adjustable shocks to help stiffen things up a little. just one more thing on the list. dearching them may have softened them up, i'm not sure.

·
Registered
345 Posts
signet said:
you have to drive it like it won't stop or turn.
now that's a quote! LOL

back to the Q. Don't even think of 90/10's on the street. Also, XHD leaf springs are a great compromise between stock and S/S.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you're looking for a compromise, I'm very happy with the XHD springs in my Dart. It's a small block car w/ .890 bars, 1" sway bar, XHD relocated rear springs. It could definately have better 60' times with a different setup, but most of my driving is on the street. It's nimble enough to give most of the BMWs and Mercedes around here a look at my taillights around the turns. I wouldn't call it a caddilac ride, but it certainly won't beat you to death, either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.