Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of changing the rear end springs from their original fitting to the frame with weld in brackets!
I just have a thought if there are any negatives in doing this? Will the rear end be more wobbly when the springs are moved or are there other setbacks?

This is a street car that is intended to do some racing so i want to be able to fit some decent tires on the car!

Chris

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Any stability you will lose by mounting the springs inboard will be offset by the advantage of fitting a bigger meat under the wheel well. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
274 Posts
No problem with mine. It rides and handles great.

G

·
body roll was a concern of mine wheen i moved the springs inward,and my dad thought it would ruin the street-ability of the car, i did notice a slight handling decrease (while being real hard on the car)but its not noticable while cruising the street.,and as mopowers said it's worth the extra meat ;D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Allright the overall thought of it seems that its not a big difference!
So springs to frame it is 0/ tnku

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just a note when installing the new front spring hangers in the frame, use a long straight edge or string to get them parallel with the frame rails. It is easy to get them screwed up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
One article I read said to leave the outbaord side of the frame rail intact and to only remove the bottom and inside edge of the frame rail. By doing this you are almost sure to keep the front location of the springs parallel to where the should be. However, be sure to offset the rear upper shackle mount the thickness of the front rail you left in there.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
7173Duster said:
However, be sure to offset the rear upper shackle mount the thickness of the front rail you left in there.
I doubt that amount would cause any problems.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Once you cut the outside section of the frame rail, that inside piece distorts a bit. Don't rely on it being that true. Those rails were press formed in a huge press, there still is some stress in the metal. Mine pulled a little, I was glad I checked the accuracy before it was too late.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Note that if you don't cut the frame out your available tire clearance will be less. If you are worried about handling, go to the wrecking yard and look for a sway bar. A used a Ford piece.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I love that sway bar everytime I see it! My winter project.

·
Registered
11 Posts
B569RR

I have that exact sway bar in my garage. Off of some Ford 8.8 diff. I was gonna put it on my 69 Bee rear just as you have. Good to see some ingenuity.

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts