Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wonder what are the differences (besides the obvious) between mono leafs and SS springs? What would be a better choice for a street/strip A body? What are ther pros and cons of one vs. the other?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know a lot of guys like the mono and traction bar setup, like cal tracs. I plan on using them on my dart. Advantages in my opinion are lots less weight than SS springs, faster reacting, longer lasting, and better tunability. This is just what I've heard from other guys running them as I don't have them installed yet.

Drew

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically, I plan on running caltracs on a street strip car. Should I use monos or SS's???

·
Registered
392 Posts
Caltracs are designed to work with their monoleaf system, not recommended for use with SS springs. Might be overkill on the street, but is the hot setup for drag.

B

·
0 Posts
from what I been seeing the ss spring with the setup like the old days are just as good as the cal-tracks. I would like to see a test between the two.   :police:    the same car, tires ,gears,stall,              I have ss springs and I hook with bad tires are tires that has little left.   if they work they work       my friend put cal-tracks on and run the same 60ft. but he said the car handle better. -0*(

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey bentwheel43, what do you run as far as a traction bar or snubber with SS springs??? Or do you run them by themselves?? I was going to make my set of caltracs as per the article http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html and use them with the cheap JC Whitney HD springs. Is this a bad idea? Are you only supossed to use them on mono's?? Do they have to be the special caltrac mono's?? Thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
the debate weather or not to use ss springs will probably never be answered. If you ask this question againt tomorrow you will get 10 different answeres. The old site had a very good article about how to get the most out of ss springs but i don't think it made it to the board and i'm not sure you can access the old site anymore

B

·
0 Posts
I use 29x10 with .456 gear,3600stall, the springs are the ones on 2800# hemi Dart set at 3* ,stubber is 1/8"from a flat.1/8 plate I welded under the car (it bent the floor where it hit) I don't have the x-long shocks but it comes up 3" in back , I have 90/10 in the front with the small T-bars. Saturday with tires that need to be changed we got 1.535, 1.537, 1.531, 1.541, and 1.541 if the driver bumps in a little deeper it makes some differnce, going alittle deeper will get a slower 60foot time and a better reaction time. My Duster is 3300# -0*( I also use limmiter on the front to keep it down some.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts