Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, how hard is it to pull the steering collumn out?  I need to get the manifolds off and trim the collar back for headers.  Its a manual setup in a 73 swinger.  Never done this before...help! any sites with pics?

·
Registered
283 Posts
there should be 3 or 4 bolts holding the column up. plus a wire connection. 4 bolts hold the base plate on the fire wall. also disconnect the coupling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright, it is that easy then? For some reason, looking at it, I thought it looks much worse than it probably is.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Jim_Lusk said:
Don't forget the roll pin on the coupler.
That damn pin can be a pain in the a$$. I had to pull the whole steering box out and pull the coupling guts off of the column and then pound on it on my vise. I tried and tried for hours with it on the car to no avail. I had my machinist friend make me a pin that will come out easier the next time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm really new at this, is the pin that hollow tube looking thing in the coupler? I'm trying to remove that as we speak, am I hitting the right thing?

·
Registered
95 Posts
After you get the roll pin out, I'll use my pickle fork between the coupler and the box to pry it apart.( by hand not beating it to death.)

SIKPUP ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts