Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pulled out my steering column, these parts fell out. I used my Haynes book to get the steering column out but the diagrams aren't very good. Where do they go and what are they? I'm assuming the black part just goes around the knuckles on the end of the column. Is there a certain way it has to go? Any help here will be much appreciated. tnku in advance

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
847 Posts
you pulled the collar apart instead of driving out the roll pin. the collar is still on the steering box. those parts go inside the collar. look at it, it is self explanitory.

·
Registered
847 Posts
i made the same mistake first time i removed a column....it goes right back together, take the collar off the steering box.

·
Registered
283 Posts
you can get a rebulid kit from chrylser p/n 444343AC for around $10.00 :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two things Ive found,
1st make sure that black spring thing is still good. If its broken your steering will be sloppy.

2nd put a "Little" grease inside the housing before reassembly. as those parts slide back and forth. Too much grease Like I did one time and it will blow the rubber boot off the end and make a mess.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I put too much grease in mine whin I rebuilt it. Now it is in the car and the rubber book and latch piece have came off. Can it be put back together un the car or do I need to pull the column?

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
if the seal is still intact you might be able to re-crimp the tabs to hold it in place. a couple light taps with a small hammer and a long piece of rod from overhead was all mine took. if the tabs have broken off then yeah, you'll want to replace it.

even if you do have to replace it, you shouldnt have to remove the column completely. just back it off to where you can work.

mi dos centavos

CJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts