Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Can any of you guys help? I need to disconnect my column (bottom coupler) from the steering box. Its not obvoius to me how you do this - how???

Also, can the column change gear at the bottom of the tube be removed - car has floor shift now ;D

DustyMopar(UK)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
There's a roll pin where the shaft slide over the splined shaft sticking out of the steering box. You have to drive that pin out using a punch, then just unbolt the column and undo the wiring and it will come right out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tnku

·
Registered
60 Posts
mopowers said:
There's a roll pin where the shaft slide over the splined shaft sticking out of the steering box.  You have to drive that pin out using a punch, then just unbolt the column and undo the wiring and it will come right out.
......if you want to save the roll pin, don't drive ity all the way out (90%). Finding that 1/4" pin on dirty floor filled with spent weld rods, rust, leaves, dirt, dead bees, etc really sucks. And I did it in my garage!

BBD

·
Registered
749 Posts
I got the roll pin out...but it wont come loose from the splined shaft. What is cure for this a bigger hammer?

Rick

·
Registered
749 Posts
That will work...and I do have one of those little items in the tool box..

thanks
Rick

·
Registered
392 Posts
rharveysr said:
I got the roll pin out...but it wont come loose from the splined shaft. What is cure for this a bigger hammer?

Rick
Large brass drift pin and aerokroil penetrating oil is what I use. Guaranteed not to leave any "donkey" marks on the coupling.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The column is out ....and completely torn apart! So far I have removed the gear selector and window. I know its the cheap way but I have looked around and hadnt been able to find a good floor shift column so this one is getting modified.  Filler pieces were cut and JB Welded in place. This weekend I will smooth it out and start on the top layer of filler. Once it is ready to go back together it will be getting the new interior color..At this point I dont know what color the interior will be to match the Lime Time Green exterior! Made a phone call to my buddy at Paintshop101.com(Mopar hotrod shop in Texas)...he said that even gray and black would go well...

Thanks
Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts