Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, needing input on my stock 383 that im installing in my 69 dart, i recieved the motor as a gift, clean, spins freely, never heard it run, was told its just fine, opened it up, took off the heads, inspected, very clean, pistons are carboned up[thats about it], pulled 1 main cap off, its like new,,but,, i dont have a clue on the mileage, id like some power without mortaging my house, i have a 413 also, would throwing these heads on the 383 with a new cam/lifter/chain kit, and a manifold,carb/headers do the trick, looking to pour in no more than 5 grand, canadian ,lol. thx, ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED.

·
Super Moderator
1,454 Posts
I'll happily give you my two cents.

run the 383 as is.

if everything appears to look good in your inspection and its pretty well new already, run what you have as a starting point. a 383 in a Dart is no slouch, even if you run the powerplant factory stock. a BBD comes with bragging rights already installed. (y)

a nice purple shaft style cam and all the related goodies would surely wake it up a bit and sure couldn't hurt, but even then it's just gravy on an already solid (factory proven) combo.

save the coin for now, make it run and drive and use the funds to make it more your own. (exhaust, cooling, air fuel stuff, rims, tires, paint...etc) and later on, once you know the car better, start thinking about improvements to it.

my humble opinion.

CJ

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi,
If you have the urge to spend some money, the Edelbrook heads might be something to consider. A mild cam with some new lifters. Get a new harmonic balancer. The old balancer's can start to slip and give a bad timing reading. These things shouldn't break your budget. Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts