Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With those big blocks sitting over the front end what are you using for stopping power? Types of pads and linings? OEM or after market system? Do you burn the brakes in? Type of DOT fluid used? What are your true stopping distance between 100-150 ft? Does weather play a big part in brake performance? What type and size of rubber you running? Any general comments on how to improve braking performance?

·
Registered
704 Posts
i still have the six in but with a all stock style piece for a 79 cordoba (11.75 inch), napa premium pads, .990 bars and 235/60r15 yokohama avid s/t tires, i stop from 60mph to 0 in 110 feet on crappy pavement, just for reference a stock 06 corvette z06 is about 105 ft.

and thats with the stock crappy 9 inch drums on the back, im hoping to break that 100ft barrier with the 295s ill be putting on and 11x2.5 finned drums when i put in the new rear end, now if i only had some money

but really all of the difference is in the tires, it takes more pedal to lock up the new tires in the rain than it did for the old ones on dry pavement

i broke in the brakes, just take it really easy at first, from 40 or so and each stop is a little harder until you are locking up the tires

fluid is walmart brand

weather, once again, is really influence on the tires, crappy tires makes rain like ice, good tires you can still stop easily under normal or worse conditions

basically with all stock style disk system you will be able to lock up the front tires even after 10 or so quick stops and that with road race tires, no brake fad at all, this is why i didn't see the need to go aftermarket, more money in rotors and calipers i think would just go to waste unless you were running big slicks on the front or something

i would really recommend the Yokohama avid s/t tires- this is only 1 of 3 or so road racing tires you can get bigger than 225 in a 15 inch rims- all of the way up to 295,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts