Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, what is the better type of subfame connectors the bolt in type that you can pic up form mancini, jegs.... or the weld in type that you guys are making? I'm just curious because I'm getting anxious to do more things to my dart and I'd like to put a set in ( I do have axcess to a welder). Also whats the best choice for shocks for the strip with super stock springs? Thanks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I welded up connectors for my '65 .......there didn't seem to be a lot of store bought stuff available , and other than cutting up the floor it was easy.
As for the shocks.....http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,7966.0.html ......maybe we'll get an answer here.
I am in St. Paul , and nearly finished with the car.
I'd be happy to buzz down your way for a Thursday night cruise deal at that restraunt who's name escapes me at the moment and you can use my car as an example of what not to do to your ride.
J.S.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
[]{} []{} What Jim said.

I have a larger pic in the gallery of a prepped frame connector. Cut a little, test fit then cut a little more. Same goes for the floor pan.

Non Mopar related, but my buddy put some bolt on connectors on his '65 Mustang small block with 360 hp at the wheels. The body has one inch long tears in the body on each side right behind the rear back seat roll up windows. Guess he should have welded some in.

Tom

·
Registered
260 Posts
On a Charger I once had, the previous owner had installed the bolt on connectors and then welded them to the frame. Seemed to work ok.

G

·
The bolt on one are to sell them,to make them work right weld it. It will help reaction &60ft. times at the track.

G

·
I bought a set of mopar bolt in connectors and welded them in my duster,to be honest they suck.......i dont like the huge gap between them and the floor.Im thinking of filling this space in this winter,my advice is buy some that tuck up tight or build your own.

·
Registered
404 Posts
if you were to build your own is there a online guide somewhere just for MoPar's?

G

·
Good question. I've been wondering the same thing. I bought a set of MP bolt in connectors a year ago. I haven't installed them and have heard that weld in w/ torque boxes (like Auto Rust Technicians) is the better way to go.

Opinions?

I hate the thought of having to resell my parts, at a loss in order to get it right. However, I would rather have it right and spend a bit more to make it so. I hate that nagging feeling in the back of my brain saying, "you could have done it better." o[

-Jeffrey

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did a set of subframe connectors on my 74 Duster made from 2x2x1/4 tubing. We cut and fit them to fit tight against the rear floor pan without cutting into it. Then we welded them to rear subframe and torsion bar crossmember. They fit really nice and drop about a 1/2 in. below rear subframe. We gusseted them to the rear subframe, but I don't think that you would need that. I think that 3/16" wall tubing would work as well with less weight.

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
xmattxxx said:
I bought a set of mopar bolt in connectors and welded them in my duster,to be honest they suck.......i dont like the huge gap between them and the floor.Im thinking of filling this space in this winter,my advice is buy some that tuck up tight or build your own.
What are you saying thay don't work or can't work because of the gap ? What is it a 9 second car?

·
Registered
759 Posts
We built our own mostly per the instructions in the post above. We did have to cut 2ea. 3" X 10" rectangular holes in the rear floorpan as the connectors do come throught the floor a little bit. Total cost was under $40.00, if I recall correctly. Works great..

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use the ones from Mopar, I bolt them in then have the muffler shop weld them in place. They appear to work correctly, when the car is jacked up at the front side the entire car lifts until the rear wheel sc clear of the ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts