Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the 67-72 small block k-member with the factory sway bar setup.  I want to install the later 73-76 spool k-member and reuse my lower control arms/sway bar setup...will this work?

I don't care about the center radiator support brace as I don't have it installed, anyway.

Thanks for the help!  BTW, this is in a 70 Dart with a 440.

Jim [email protected]

·
Registered
48 Posts
The sway bar for 73 - 76 must bo through the K member. For sure the sway bar K frame mounts won't work. If you use the LCA from the pre 72 you could have trouble bolting a sway bar up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim_Lusk said:
All you have to do is drill the frame mount holes on the front edge of the k-member. Some early ones had the holes there already and some had the holes in only one half. Easy swap.
Thanks, Jim! You ALWAYS have helped me out in a pinch.

Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
The problem is, You'll have the LCA for early car and K frame for a later sway bar. Now what sway bar will you use! If you use the one for the K frame it won't be wide enough for the mounts on the LCA. The sway bars are different widths arn't they! I tried this and ended up cutting the LCA sway bar monts off and fabbing new monts closer in.
We'll mayba I'm having a  brrrrrt  !  LIke it's never happened before!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yup, Jim that is exacly what I had, a 69 Dart (383) with a 76 spool mount K frame. I used the LCA'a from the 76, and when I went to put the sway bar in, the mounts wouldn't bolt up to the k frame. It had those goofy triangular mounts. I had to fabricate brakets for the k frame and then, as I said earlier change the LCA mounts to the earlier style brackets. 

We'll I'm not going to say I didn't screw up, but maybe 70 swinger can let us know what happens!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I saw a pic of the old style swaybar and lower control arms with a 73 up k-member. It had the links shortened to like maybe .5 - 1" long. Shortened links = clearance for calipers. The newer control arm brackets were fliped and the bar narrowed to clear the disc brake calipers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts