Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 floor shift/manual steering column. I have purchased a 76 Dart floor shift column but the shaft is for power steering. Does anyone know if I can trade out the shafts so that I have a 76 floor shift with manual steering length shaft? I'm going to use a tuff wheel and it looks better on the newer style column.

Alternatively, can the top located conical housing parts just be switched out? I would prefer to just switch out the top parts as the shaft removal looks tricky. Anybody know how to take out the shafts in the first place? Do they even attach the same? As you can tell, I'm lost on this one. Please help. I had found a link to a moparmuscle tech page showing how to disassemble an E body column but my 67 column's shaft is held in differently than the E body type. I'm wondering if the 76 dart column is the same as the E type. If it is, then question answered the shafts are held in differently.

Here is the link to the Ebody tech article.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/155_0308_mopar_steering_column_rebuild/

Can someone go look at the pictures and compare it to your 1970 to 1976 A body column, PLEASE?

G

·
the shaft change is as simple as a few screws, and a couple of snap rings and about an hour...and bam...manual shaft bbat

·
Registered
311 Posts
i dont know anything about the later columns, but to take the shaft out of the 67 column you just remove the big nut holding the steering wheel on, then remove the C clip on the shaft. Give the shaft a good wack with a dead blow hammer and it will fall out the bottom of the column housing. You could also just buy an adapter and avoid swapping shafts all together. What is the purpose of swapping a later model column into a earlier model car?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The purpose for switching is to be able to mount a tuff steering wheel. The tuff wheel adapter will not quite fit onto an early column. The upper conical piece that houses the turn signal switch is supposed to slide up inside the tuff wheel adapter. I test fitted the tuff wheel adapter around the upper conical housing. They will not slide together. I had been told by others the column switch would be necessary. I will remove the key lock cylinder and steering column lock so that the 76 dart unit is equivalent. I am contemplating cutting out and filling over of the area around the ignition key on the later conical housing. Still waiting on delivery of the column from Ebay.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i've never messed with the tuff wheels so i dont know much about them. Think it would be possible to just machine the tuff wheel adapter so it would fit the earlier column instead of swapping columns all together?? Know anyone with access to a lathe? Swapping columns sounds like a ton of work just to run that particular wheels, surely there has got to be an easier way

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not definate yes or no on selling the original as I may need it when my car is eventually sold. It has been totally disassembled and I'm sanding and painting the external parts. My inclination is to sell it but don't know until I work out the details with the other column that HAS NOT BEEN SHIPPED to me yet.

I do know where another manual 67 column is but it is column shifted automatic. Its in a local salvage. I may end up getting it if the price is right. I do not know what the price wanted nor the name of the salvage. I just know how to get there.

Concerning GON_RACIN's question, yes the early column could be made to work with the tuff adapter but the lower skirt would need to be cut off. there would be a visable gap in the column. I may experiment on this as I have an extra adapter. It just depends on how junky it would look with the gap. It may be fine and it could look like hell. I will have to assess.

68 valiant, if I end up deciding to sell, ARE YOU INTERESTED?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts