Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1974 Plymouth Scamp with no options to speak of and the stock wiring harness. The radio and rear window defroster were spliced into the original harness. Everything on the car is stock (for now >:D ). Since I don't have any of the extra fuses on the fuse panel I was thinking of rewiring the car. I am thinking of ordering a wiring kit from either Painless or Ron Francis. I was wondering if anyone here has done this before and has used one of these kits and how hard it is to do. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
If the car is stock and you are wanting to fix old mistakes. I would buy a replacment harness. If you are going to after market for lots of acc. I like painless, they are not painless. It takes alot of time. I am using one.

·
Premium Member
3,888 Posts
It really depends on what you are planning and how good the original harness is. I wired my older son's Barracuda in an afternoon from scratch (well, almost), but I have well over 20 years in as an electronics tech and I have all the wiring diagrams. The new kits are nice, though. Plenty of fuses and BRAND NEW wire.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The harness is in pretty good shape, but it is a no option car so all the extra circuits aren't there. My fuel and temp guages don't work and I've replaced the limiter so I know the guages are fried and I would like to add aftermarket guages in their place but I have nowhere to connect them. The car is currently a /6 but I would like to install either my 241 Hemi or a 440 in the future, and I figure new wiring would be the best bet instead of cut and splice :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
PAINLESS IS THE WAY TO GO
START FROM SCRATCH AND TAKE YOUR TIME.
NOT PAINLESS BUT WELL LABELED

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm rewiring Wild383's 73 dart sport right now. He bought a ARC wiring harness and a painless fuse block. I've been keeping the colors the same as factory or as close as possible. The ARC kit is just 14ga THHN wire. It's available at lowes or any electrical outlet. I'm pretty handy with wiring so the fact that the wires are not labeled or numbered does not bother me. The painless harness is the best in my opinion. I'm tapping into the steering column multi plugs and went to a well stocked electrical house for the lock in terminals needed to avoid splicing old wire to new wire. Just take your time and do one section at a time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
1meanfish said:
I would tackle just about anyhting on my own cars, EXCEPT electrical. It scares me to death. I have avoided replacing my Darts OEM wiring to something aftermarket (because everyhting worked well). I wired in some powerblocks and wired my stuff from there. One day I'd sure like to learn or even have someone show me how to rewire mine. Maybe in my next lifetime if I come back as human number 2

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've never heard of that brand, it looks pretty complete and organizied. The price is reasonable as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll do it. Planning on putting a 69 cuda dash in my dart. Will try the wiring when I get involved in that. But I'll let you know when it arrives.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used that kit, its called "its a snap ZZ20" it has a lot of options and circuits for the money. What it does not have is all the connectors, switches and the like that comes with the more expensive painless or Ron Francis kits. I will also say that the kit does not have as easy directions as the big name kits. If you can reuse a lot of your connectors and switches it is a real bargain for the price. It is all I intend to use in the future. A original wiring diagram will be a great help to hook up the kit to your car, things like wipers and ignition switch etc. The wire is at least the same quality and gauges as any other kit have used. Since your wiring is still good why not just add an extra fuse block or 2? One hot and one swiched will give you all the expansion you should need. They are available at any parts store for under $20.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts