Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to puchase rims and tires for my dart sport, the rims are weld racing draglites 15 x 10 and I'm wondering what you'd recomend for a tire, the car will see a bit of the road and some of the strip too, I'd say about 50/50 so I'm looking for a good tire that could do both since I only have money for one set, the rims are already drilled for slicks so, i'd guess I'd lean more towards slick/ bias ply end of the spectrum. Also how wide should I go? Looking for 10s eventually but right now I'd be happy with 12s, also i'm going to tub it to the frame and I'm planning on getting cal-tracs, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any advice here? The rims I purchased are already have been drilled for rim screw so does that mean that i have to use rim screws and basicly can't use a radial, ie have to use a tube-type tire? Any advice on how wide to go?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I've never screwed tires to the rims before. Have you thought about BF Goodrich Drag T/A's? I'll never drive a bias ply tire again. I ran my Charger with Radial T/A's on the front and Drag T/A's on the rear. Worked pretty good. I don't know if you can rimscrew Drag T/A's.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you're going the drag radial route, I highly recommend the M/T drag radials. I'm very happy with mine. I'd contact a tire store in your area that sells slicks about the rim screw deal. Don't know how that will affect things.

don

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
If you're asking me, I'd say radials. They're more modern. Is it a street strip car?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd run the M/T drag radials also, that's what I'm going to buy when I get to that stage on my 70. I won't buy BF goodrich anymore because they are owned by a french company. :p

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
will I be able to run a radial tire in my rims with the rim screws?(it already has the holes for them) And yes it will be a street strip car.

·
Registered
704 Posts
yea but my yokahamas are not made here but there perform awsome

·
Registered
320 Posts
moparrr07 said:
I have a Yokohama tire as a spare for my 73 and it's made here in the US. :-X

G

·
I'm going with DiamondbackIII redlines (Radials - made by Cooper Tire), but mine is primarliy steet and show.

P205/7oR14 in front
P245/60R14 in rear

FOr drags I always like the M/T products. I used racemaster slicks back in the 60's and they were the best.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So whats recomended for a street strip car? I was looking at the MT sportsman pro or something of that nature, or should i go for more of a race tire? Or Radial?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Lars said:
moparrr07 said:
I have a Yokohama tire as a spare for my 73 and it's made here in the US. :-X
;D i just figured because of the name )(/*

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bias Radial

more traction more tread life
lighter handles better
don't need tubes

If you are limited in tire size and you want straight line traction, use the Bias ply. If you use a bias ply on the rear, match with a bias on the front, or else it will handle like crap. Bias also are slippery in the rain, be carefull.

I've used a few different brands of drag radials and bias drag tires on daily drivers and always prefered the bias for straight line traction. I've also used Hoosier bias ply sticky tires that had a tread, and the were better than drag radials in rain, and on the dragstrip. Use tubes (they leak) and srew them on, since you already have the holes.

Tim

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks TimH, is there any brand, or type of tire that you've had good luck with, i liekt he look of hte M/T sportsman pros, but what about the "quicktime" series. Sorry about all the questions i just wana get the best stuff for the moeny i have....or don't have... ;)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM THE QUICK TIMES. i had quick time pros on my dart, maybe 5 months, 3-4 months it was in the garage. didnt get to drive or even do a burnout. they are cracked everywhere. any used set of hoosiers ive ever seen was cracked all over. 2 of my friends had bought hoosiers new and they did the same thing. way too fast. people on this board and other mopar boards have had the same issues. and have emailed and called. this has been going on for years. when i contacted them, they asked for the serial number and date of purchase. when i gave that info to him, he told me he would take them back as he "THOUGHT" they were from a batch that had some ozone checking issues. i had to dismount and pay to ship to them. then my car would sit for who knows how long with no rubber. and who knows if id even be ahead at all. i might get the same crap back. i itred a few different approaches to get the new set and then ship the old ones back, they wouldnt go for it. i had a set of m/t et drags for my dart since about 01 or 02, they still dont have a single crack in them. they sat inside, outside and mosy of the time in the trunk of the car. i wouldnt care so much if i got some use out of them, but i think it is just rediculous. i sitll have them on the car, it still hasnt been driven and i have no idea what im going to do. when the time comes, ill probably just buy a set of et streets. if you are going to drive a lot of street miles, go for some type of radial.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey 74DDS, I've had good luck with the Hoosier Quick Time and the Quick Time Pros. The Quick times work about the same traction wise as a drag radial, but don't need to be heated as much. The BF drag radials last a long time, handle well but require a pretty good burn out to get them to hook. The Mickey Sportsman work OK as well. I'm mini tubbing my Valiant this winter and for my money I'm gonna fo with M/T E.T. Streets. I have yet to see a street tire hook as hard and be as consitant.

Tim

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im also on the list of wont use Hoosiers again. Mine cracked and dry rotted after 4 months.

I replaced them with a set of smaller M/T drag radials and they hooked and rode a ton better. Also my rims were drilled for screws. I didnt run them with the radials. They wont leak if they were drilled right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have always used Hoosier QTP's, cheaper than M/T ET streets, and work just as good, they are not screwed to the rims and I do not use tubes. I had to add air about 3 or 4 times last summer. A set only lasts me 3/4 of a season before I replace them just to be on the safe side, usually sell the to street legal racers for cheap. Last season I bought some M/T ET street radials, and was surprised. They worked 100 times better than the BFG drag radials. Best 60 foot on 275/60/15 Et streets was 1.61, and on slicks or QTP's was 1.60. :) I also have a 2 year old pair of Hoosiers that looke like new except for the tread. No cracking at all, but they don't see 100 degree heat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.