Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have seen many pics of cars w/ lifed rear springs, rather than tubbing, using a big neg offset wheel without a narrowed  rear diff. anybody runnin anything like this? and what's the right way to set this up?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: tire sticking out the well

mjudd said:
the first thing you'll need is a set of those really long hillbilly shackles
Whenever I go to a show and see those super long shackles on a nice a body I just cringe :p

·
Registered
69 Posts

Uhmmm, there really isnt a "right" way to set up a car jacked in the back with the chin draggin. When you set a car up this way you ruin the handling of the vehicle because it alters the weight bias of the car, it puts more weight over the front then what it was engineered to handle) (already along the lines of 60-40 or 70-30 weight bias in stock trim), it also alters U-joint angles which in turn can cause failures that wipe out pinions, driveshafts, and transmissions, not to mention the vibrations it can cause that will drive you nuts trying to figure out wtf. It really "isn't" the hot ticket for drag racing either (as any of the guys into winning in drag racing, will tell you). Also, depending on your location, motor vehicle laws come into play. There are laws against wheels extending beyond the fender lip, also laws against using ANYTHING other than OEM parts (those hillbillie shackles that were refered to for instance) and also other laws regarding the height of the lowest part of the bummper cannot be beyond X" above the road surface (mopars in general tend to be close in factory trim with that particular law)  Thats not to say you couldn't fix the pinion angle thing, but it won't change all the other problems I listed. If thats what ya like go for it, to each their own. I am not knocking it, I was young once and thought that was the shiznit, but ran into all of the issue's (and some) I mentioned, I have also been into racing since I was a kid so I learned the error of my ways by trial and failure, and a lot of $$$ wasted.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

jamesdart said:
wait you mean people want there cars to look like this  on purpose? there is a right way to do it?
Sounds like me when I was 17. I drove a beat '69 442 to school. That thing helped me lose my lisence at 18 with several defective equipment tickets as krabysniper was referring to. That would have been about 1985. I had some sort of 50's posi-traction torque twisters (remember those) on slotted universal aluminum wheels that stuck out of the wheel house. Gabriel High jacker shocks pumped up to 120 psi. All I can do is think back and laugh as my dad would tell me "Your screwing up te geomety, looks like crap etc....." Man I though I was cool.  **(*)

I helped my neighbr a couple years ago with the mechanical portion of a '65 Mustang build. He insisted on mounting wider tires than his well could handle. Not only does it look like crap and cut tires down, it is hammering his paint job on the rockers.

Tom

·
Registered
792 Posts

Haha! Brings back memories, for sure. I bought a Satellite Sebring Plus that had extended shackles, air shocks, and shock extenders. With the shocks at 120 psi my trunk sat at the same height as a friends Chev 4x4 hood. )(/* Yeah, I was cool. ;D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i'm pretty sure the 8 1/4 sure grip thats in my dart is from a "F" my axle width is wider than stock and my tires fit but not very good. if i were to go with a wider tire, i'd need a positive offset wheel. I think i might be able to get 3" of rim/tire past the drum before i run into clearance issues. by the right way i mean i know i can use a puck or 2x4. but i do not want to do some CRAP JOB,. otherwise, i'm going with 15x7's and that isnt much fun to mash the gas with. or i'll be lookin at somethin like 18x10 w/ 6.75 bs and a tub and a regear and a spring relo. and this just seems like a much bigger job than getting the rear narrowed. plus if i have to wait 5 years before driving my rig, its pretty possible i'll lose interest. i've got 15x7 stock rims and 205/65r15 tires and these are going on to begin with. but. where does my next step take me? i cant run any 15x8 wheels because most have "-" offset. this is why im thinkin. hmm, turn it into a highboy and put some 15x10's on the back. yeah, that'll get traction.. any suggestions?

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you insist on that farm impliment attitude, a set of super stock springs will get the rear end high enoug to fit a set of 295 60s on the rear and ride rough enough to get that tractor feel on the street. A set of C-body shocks should be long enough to compress and extend within limits. Remember if you find your self in the weeds that the rear steering geometry was changed beyond factory specifications. Just think if driving back east the front bumber could act as a snow plow, or out west an armadillo killer or just get scratched up on parking lot bupers. Life is a learning experience doh drive safely.

G

·
   If its a A-body and get a 002&003 SS spring with 50/ 50 shocks,buy some 5"backspace rims 8"x15",leave the front alone if its a street car.  No wheelhop     No traction bars.   The ride will be ok,the springs are for 2800# most street A-body are   3400# to 3100# its good. You can put 9 or 10" tires 28"tall if you need it.  I use that set up with 4 1/2"backspace,but it was setup for 9"x29s. We get 1.489 to 1.52  60ft and I have race shocks up front.  It run 6.70s but ran about 50 passes in the 6.60s. I took the second picture to fast it was still on the way up lol lol lol but the car lifts over 3" in the back,thats how it works.

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·

mjudd said:
the first thing you'll need is a set of those really long hillbilly shackles
lol lol
HEY,..HEY UALL' TAKE IT EASY ON THE HILLBILLIES,..I BELIEVE YA'ALLTALKIN BOUT MY CAR!!! lol lol

G

·
  :D Check out this pro built SS this is how it was done in 72'  8) cool huh. I think it was 9.95 to 10.05 back then,they like 8.70 now days.

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
bentwheel43 said:
  :D Check out this pro built SS this is how it was done in 72'  8) cool huh. I think it was 9.95 to 10.05 back then,they like 8.70 now days.
MY RED 67" CORONET WAS DONE BACK IN 72",..THATS WHAT WE ALL DONE /CUT THEM WHEEL WELLS/WHAT EVER WORKED ,..MINE WERE L60x15 SUPER STOCKS . NO ONE KNEW ABOUT MOVIN SPRINGS/TUBBIN

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.