Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A TORQUE ARM IS THE 3RD ARM OF A 3 LINK. THE SHORTER THE ARM THE BETTER THE CAR LAUNCHES, SQUATS, ECT. IN MY OPINION I THINK THIS IS A BETTER 3 LINK SET UP FOR X CROSS AND PRO-TOURING BECAUSE THERE IS NO BIND IN THE SUSPENSION TRAVEL. BUT A PROBLEM OCCURS WHEN YOU MAKE THE ARM SHORT. YOU GET BAD BRAKE HOP WHEN YOU BRAKE HARD. TO FIX THAT THE ARM DECOUPLES TO MAKE THE LINK LONGER TO STOP BRAKE HOP.

G

·
If you have coil springs in the rear of your car that would be great. Your leaf springs do all that for you - put some clamps on the front half.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I PLAN ON USING AIRBAGS ON MY CAR. THIS WOULD BE A GREAT SET UP FOR THAT. I AM THE ONE WOH CAME UP WITH THIS CRAP. A TORQUE ARM IS FAR SUPERIOR THAN CAL-TRACS OR ANY 3-THINK THAT IS GOING TO BE USED FOR STRIP AND STREET.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
nu-skool-dart said:
A TORQUE ARM IS FAR SUPERIOR THAN CAL-TRACS OR ANY 3-THINK THAT IS GOING TO BE USED FOR STRIP AND STREET.
How do you figure??

·
Registered
86 Posts
you can calculate the instant center for any car with this set up...it's pretty simple.
GM has used this type of set up in Firechickens and queermaros for a long time with the long 3rd link, they also used a much shorter 3rd link in their limited run GNX. Granted...their design didn't decouple like the one shown but did ride and handle ok for a coil spring car and was an improvement over their long arm/short arm coil spring rear suspensions like the ones used in Chevelles etc...

·
Registered
86 Posts
instant center is simply the point where the upper bar and lower bars would theroretically intersect ahead of the axle. If you built a system like this you could either calculate instant center after you were done building it or you could pick where you wanted the instant center to be and build the system to accomodate that dimension. Also....like in a standard four link set up, you could make the attaching points (holes) adjustable and thus be able to choose from numerous IC points. The IC under acceleration is the theroretical "pick up point" on the chassis where the suspension links apply their force to the mass of the chassis. As far as the IC on braking goes......i always figured it was the point on the chassis where my parachutes were bolted on behind the axle ;D
ANOTHER POINT TO CONSIDER ! This set up pictured is installed on a GM "F" body car, the axles in those cars already have a mounting point on the pinion area of their rear axle housing with 2 big ass 12mm bolts or so. You would need a GM axle to simplify this instalation in a Mopar. Their are kits for brackets to be bolted to the front of 9" ford housings where the carrier bolts in at too. I suppose if you used one of those tiny 8 3/4 axles you could fab up a similar bracket to keep the upper torque arm in the center of the car.....It would just be a big ass complicated pinion snubber ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
nu-skool-dart said:
AAOUTLAW CAN YOU BRIEFLY TELL ME HOW TO GET INSTANT CENTER. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS
unlock the caps lock, please.

A little courtesy will not hurt. ;)

old school caveman

·
Registered
28 Posts
looks to me like the front bolt on the torque arm is going to try to bend the front bolt on that body mount during suspion travel doh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts