Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking at a lot of the engine pics you guys post and one thing I never see (or at least havent noticed), that I used to always run is a torque strap.

do you folks use them? I have the Schumacher mounts on mine and dont really notice the engine rocking over as it would with the old rubber mounts. are they deemed unnecessary? if you do run one, could you post a pic? I really dont want to pop one and have to replace it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Have you seen the cut away view of those mounts? I don't see where the torque strap would help with the inter locking design they use. What did they cost?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I run a home made torque strap. I have never noticed anything special about the Schumacher biscuits, is there something I am missing? They do sell their own torque strap to go with their mounts.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Spool mounts wouldn't need them due to the failsafe nature of the mounts themselves.

I think the interlocking mounts mentioned earlier are fairly new, and may be an extra cost option for their system. If you're running regular biscuit mounts, a strap could be a good insurance policy. I had a 360 mount let go once. It was kinda funny watching it flop around.  :D Besides, when the hoods closed it can only go so far. LOL LOL

·
Registered
464 Posts
I made my own. A little scrap flat stock, a few inches of angle iron, and a few fasteners. Peace of mind.

don

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yes, when I bought my kit from Schumacher they had a biscuit style mount they called a "Magnum" mount which was designed not to tear apart. I think it was an option then but I see no mention of it on their site now so it MAY be standard.

·
Super Moderator
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
268darts said:
Have you seen the cut away view of those mounts? I don't see where the torque strap would help with the inter locking design they use. What did they cost?
mine were on the car when I got it, so I havent a clue what the original cost was. nor have I gotten a really up close look at them...

I used to run a turnbuckle from the waterpump housing to the frame rail allowing me to tighten it down just so....and yeah, when one of those regular mounts lets go its like a bass flopping around in your engine compartment. LOL

ok...sounds like its still a good idea.

gracias amigos.

CJ

·
Registered
194 Posts
qkcuda said:
I run a home made torque strap. I have never noticed anything special about the Schumacher biscuits, is there something I am missing?  They do sell their own torque strap to go with their mounts.

I picked up the new Mopar Collectors Guide and they had a cut-a-way view of the biscuits (p.25). "The mounts feature two heavy steel interlocking plates which are encased in extremely high caliber polyurethane.",quote from the magizine. Kinda looks like a C with the ends curled over and a U with wings. Slide one inside of the other and pour the polyurethane. It looks like the factory biscuit.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I got the Schumacher adjustable Torque Strap when I got their motor-mounts and Tri-Ys. It's a nice unit and does the job.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i dont have the magnum mount so as a saftey measure iused a turnbuckle. one ey bolted to the mount boss o nthe front of the block for c body motor mounts , the other end i removed the eye and used a bolt, right through the edge of the k frame where it is seamed together. works good.

·
Registered
749 Posts
What guzzimike said []{}.....I even thought about building a set of elephant ears but for right now...this will work great..

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts