Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time adjusting my torsion bar on my 68 dart. I have the original /6 bars and everytime I crank them up to adjust ride height, the car lowers itself and I have to crank up the adjuster. Can my torsion bars be weak? I've read that you have to bounce the car a couple of times to lower the car after you've adjusted it, but the suspension is so stiff (probably because of the edelbrock IAS shocks) that it barely moves. I have to road test the car and brake hard for it to lower. I'm scared that if I crank up the torsion bars too much they might break.... Is it times for new ones? BTW summit raised their priced on the .920 torsion bars (289$), other suppliers are 125$....

Fred

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fred are you running a /6 in the car, or do you have a V8 in it now. The other thing is did you mark the T bar bolts as to how far they were adjusted before you moved them?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I'm still running the /6 for now, I didn't mark the adjuster bolt, but I know theyre going deeper into the LCA every time I adjust them for what I can remember. I think I'm gonna order a new set now, the retail price went up to 299$ US, THATS DOUBLE THE PRICE!!!! Some place are still selling them at 145$, so I guess I better buy them now.

Fred

·
Registered
267 Posts
i just got 990's from summit for $149. not by any means are they too stiff for the street. I would get bigger ones next time. but i would have kept my old 870's for drag

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mopar performance just changed the retail price on their torsion bars.... 299$ instead of 149$
Summit already increased their price to 289$ on a-body torsion bars

Fred

G

·
FredDart said:
Mopar performance just changed the retail price on their torsion bars.... 299$ instead of 149$
Summit already increased their price to 289$ on a-body torsion bars

Fred
darn, i was about to buy some soon,day late and a dollar short as usual.anyone know of a price less than $250 let me know.why did they go up so much at once?b body bars are still 149...wtf

·
Registered
260 Posts
I picked up new MP .990 bars on ebay for $110. I got lucky, though. If you don't mind slightly used bars, you can usually pick some up for half the going price new.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's always best to use a small jack,like a bottle jack under the frame to take some weight off the front end before you start cranking up the bars.Especially with a big block under the hood.
Had my Duster at a front end shop on the machine one time.Guy hit the adjuster with an impact wrench and it broke! Did I mention the adjusters are no longer available thru the dealer parts dept? A wrecking yard about 2 miles away saved me. Charged about 3 bucks for the adjuster.

G

·
FredDart said:
I'm having a hard time adjusting my torsion bar on my 68 dart. I have the original /6 bars and everytime I crank them up to adjust ride height, the car lowers itself and I have to crank up the adjuster. Can my torsion bars be weak? I've read that you have to bounce the car a couple of times to lower the car after you've adjusted it, but the suspension is so stiff (probably because of the edelbrock IAS shocks) that it barely moves. I have to road test the car and brake hard for it to lower. I'm scared that if I crank up the torsion bars too much they might break.... Is it times for new ones? BTW summit raised their priced on the .920 torsion bars (289$), other suppliers are 125$....

Fred
I have been having the same problem with my /6 bars except I have a V8 in my Dart. I crank the adjusting bolt up but the ride height doesn't change. I've come to terms with it being low but someday I will buy some new t bars.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Iv'e got a set, brand new, .870's from Mopar Performance..... p/n P1459149.........I want to sell them since I decided on a 528 and bought Bill's Alterkation kit. If you are interested I'll check on how much it cost me, discount it, and give you a price.
Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.