Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 Barracuda with a disc brake set up. I am rebuilding the suspension and I have a question about installing the torsion bars. I installed the lower control arms and tightened the nuts on the pivot shaft that runs through the K-frame. I went to installt he torsion bars and the hex ends on the bar and the torsion bar mounts were not aligned. The blade on the lower control arm was not level with the lower control arm so I had to used a C-clamp to get the blade flush with the lower control arm so I could seat the torsion bar in the mounts.

Did I not installt the torsion bars correctly?
Will clamping the blade in the lower control arm create an incorrect preload?
Do I need to remove the torsion bars and loosen the lower control arm pivot shaft from the K-member and re-install everything?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
246 Posts
You forced the bushing to rotate, potentially damaging it (unless it's poly). Loosen everything up and see how the bushing looks. Then put it back together with the pin loose.
In addition, tighten the lower control arm nut with the car at ride height to ensure the bushing doesn't get messed up.

·
Registered
692 Posts
In addition, tighten the lower control arm nut with the car at ride height to ensure the bushing doesn't get messed up.
I agree - same goes for any control arm bushings or else they are always pre loaded (twisted) when the suspension is loaded with the weight of the car. This will cause premature failure of the bushings.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Every thing shpuld be loose with the bumper stop removed so the suspension on a pair of floor jacks hangs at its lowest level. Insert the torsion bars in the correct orientation, left on left side and right on right side. After market bars can be installed on either side. ( Make sure the adjuster bladeds are centered level in the LCA) After the bars are installed and the retainer clip installed the car can be lowered until the wheels are straight then apply slight tension to all bolts and center the torsion bar adjuster level in the center of the lower control arm, the adjuster should be lightly touching the adjuster blade and centered. Remove the jack stands and lower the car to the ground with all of the vehicle weight supported by the fron suspension. Now apply the proper torque to all of the suspension bolts an set factory ride specs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts