Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am workin on putting a 440 in my 74 duster, has anyone else ran the 1.09 Dia torsion bars? Are they too big? What dia bars have other people used? I have rebuilt my suspension using poly bushings and I am wondering if they are going to be to stiff?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the .990's in my 400 Valiant, they're pretty stiff, but the ride is very good. Haven't had the chance to see how it handles cause all I had at the time for a rearend was 4:10 gears and full spool ;D

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
1.09's are big and stiff. If you want handling you need reasonably big bars AND sway bars with shocks and rear springs to complete the package. My son's Barracuda has 1.14" bars and big sway bars. He doesn't mind the ride (when the car is together - it hasn't been for a while now). Sub-frame connectors will also help a lot.

If you want to go drag racing then you don't want the big bars.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not really planning on drag racing the car, I can't really afford too ( i know I would push it too far and break something). I am really just planning on driving the car and may be doing some road racing ;)
Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have got a 1" front sway bar in there and am working on installing a 7/8 rear sway bar. I hopeing that with all poly bushings and welded k-frame and welded and re-enforced lower arms that the suspension is not going to ride to rough. I know its not a good picture of my k-frame but.... at least its all there

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have .890 bars and Hoskins front and rear sway bars, not sure of the size, but front is larger than stock.

My car rides and handles great with the 340 sitting up front.

The extra weight of the big block and large torsion bars it should handle well for a big block car that is nose heavy

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am using KYB shocks all around and am going to be running BF Goodrich Radial T/A's on 15" rally wheels, so I don't think I will have any problems with them. tnku

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought them used from my brother, He had went through 2 different sets of Radial T/A's on his Big Block, never really had a problem with them. But he ended up roasting most of the tread off -o the tires before I got ahold of them. I don't know what Kind of tire I will replace them with, any one have experience Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had a set of 1.04 torsion bars in a 73 Duster with 440 engine, and the Urethane components. The car rode and handled very well in all situations. With the stiff suspension, KYB shocks, front sway bar and frame connectors the car had a resonance at a steady 80 MPH. Remember the diameter of the torsion bar equates to spring rates, the big block A-bodies from Mopar were equipped with a maximum .089 size torsion bar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts