Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I want to change rear wheels on my car. One is damaged and I want to go a little narrower.

This is the present wheel spec:

15 X 14, 6.5" Backspace, -25mm offset, .500 Wheel Spacer.

The centerline of this wheel as mounted is just about perfect. It puts the tire just about in the center of the tub w/ about 1" clearance to quarter panel and frame rail.

I think I want to keep this wheel centerline (as mounted) on the new wheel. I  would like to loose the spacer. I would rather have a little too much backspace as apposed to not enough. The former is easy to fix with a spacer.

These are the choices I have to pick from:

15 X 12, 3.5" Backspace, -76mm Offset
15 X 12, 4.5" Backspace, -51mm Offset
15 X 12, 5.5" Backsapce, -25mm Offset
15 X 12, 6.5" Backspace,  0 Offset
15 X 12, 7.5" Backspace, + 25mm Offset

I am terrible at math. The more I look at this, the more confused I get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
267 Posts
well, since you're taking 2 inches off, you probably want to take 1 inch of each side so you can keep your wheel centered like it is now. so - if you take 1 inch off each side, take 1 inch off the backspacing. sounds to me like you should go with the 5.5" backspacing

·
Registered
267 Posts
see if you can make sense of the picture - thats how i usually understand things

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pic Evan. I wish it were that easy to choose the correct rim. If they all had the same offset it would be. They don't and this is what complicates things. ;D

·
Registered
267 Posts
no problem. it looks like the 12" rim with 5.5" backspacing has the same offset as yours. it looks like it should bolt right in place of your 14" rims.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If it were me I would go with a 4.5 inch BS. to keep the wheelout in the wheel well. Not to be different or anything. I just like the look of a "full" wheel well. To me a car doesn't look rite if the wheel is too far in the wheel well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts