Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pondered this question and have concluded absolutely nothing ???, so hopefully some forum members can share their experience here....

I have two possible size choices for an M/T ET street radial that would likely fit in my wheelwell (w/a couple of changes). Not sure about the 30" tire fitment yet, but probably can get to work (car is already mini-tubbed) installing new rear end back 1 1/2" from stock.

P325/50R15 - 11.0" tread width, 28.0" tall OR

P295/65R15 - 10.0" tread width, 30.0" tall
(specs are directly from M/T website)

Would one tire inherently provide better traction than the other?? Thanx ;D

·
Registered
704 Posts
one would be better but im not sure what the ratio is for width to hight, if it was me i would pick the tire that will best compliments the rear end ratio you are running

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear end ratio is flexible - I am getting a new Strange 60. I was going to go with either a 4.10 (28" tire) or 4.56 (30" tire). I currently run 4.10's in the 8 3/4.

Assuming that final drive ratio is equal, would there be a benefit (traction or otherwise) to having a 2" taller tire, if you had to give up an inch of treadwidth?

·
Registered
365 Posts
the 11 X 28 = 968 square inches of surface for every rotation.

the 10 X 30 =942 square inches.

the tire with less area would heat up faster.

but the tire with the larger diameter has more potential contact area,how much more i don't know.

G

·
This is what I did,I put 5 set on my car at first I put 2sets of  9x28" with 410 gear,then I put 9x29" with 456 gears,then I put 10x29",them I put 10x28s,with my 451"RB motor ,3600stall,SS spring 002 003, this is what I find,  with my combo I need 9x30s   the 60ft. time was about the same 1.489 to 1.51s with the 9x29"and the 10x28 I think the 9x30"will work better with 456gears and the tire patch is bigger,    The mph was faster with the 9x29s  they say  >:D if you spin alittle the mph is faster ::) so.   but  I was getting the same 60ft. Theres alot to it thats for sure. **(*)  If you over tire it it will slow down.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
417 Posts
One thought that we need to keep in mind is that the amount of pressure placed on the tire will affect the grip or the coefficient of friction as well. Area, surface material, and pressure all need to be considered.
I know this does not answer your question, but something to keep in mind. Keep pondering you may get your answer.

gt

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the comments tnku

I'll wait and see what Eddie (Fast Eddie's Race Car Fabrication) thinks when I deliver my car to him, before deciding.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've always been led to believe that as far as traction is concerned tire height is more important than width, you would need the appropriate rear gear as well obviously.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts