Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I install my engine with the front engine plate that will be a solid mount do I also mount the trans solid at the tail or use the bushing mount. As of yet I didn't plan on running a mid-mount between the tranny and engine. Its a BB in a 74 duster drag car.
Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
435 Posts
The rear transmission mount should not be solid in a car with solid motor mounts. Since the car is not a in a complete tubular chasis, nor is the engine and transmission a load bearing component of the chasis (i.g. the way they are in Champ Cars or F-1 Cars), the rear mount needs to flex. Otherwise you could damage the engine block or tranny. Remember neither the engine or transmission were designed to have external loads placed upon them. If you mount them solidly to the chassis and it should flex you could break either the block or transmission case.

Using a motor plate up front or some other form of solid mounting system will accomplish four things. 1) Prevent the breakage of rubber motor mounts and the associated damage. 2) May provide some additional header clearance due to the mounts being at the front of the motor. 3) Allow the engine to transfer virtually all its power to the chassis. 4) Noticeably increase the amount of engine and drive train vibration in the car.

Hope this helps

Regards

Joe

·
Registered
994 Posts
Joe-Dokes said:
The rear transmission mount should not be solid in a car with solid motor mounts.  Since the car is not a in a complete tubular chasis, nor is the engine and transmission a load bearing component of the chasis (i.g. the way they are in Champ Cars or F-1 Cars), the rear mount needs to flex.  Otherwise you could damage the engine block or tranny.  Remember neither the engine or transmission were designed to have external loads placed upon them.  If you mount them solidly to the chassis and it should flex you could break either the block or transmission case. 

Using a motor plate up front or some other form of solid mounting system will accomplish four things.  1) Prevent the breakage of rubber motor mounts and the associated damage. 2) May provide some additional header clearance due to the mounts being at the front of the motor. 3) Allow the engine to transfer virtually all its power to the chassis. 4) Noticeably increase the amount of engine and drive train vibration in the car. 

Hope this helps

Regards

Joe
AND makes the car act like a big vibrator....so the girlfriend in ready on demand....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, you probably saved me a broken tail on my tranny. boom[]

Another question....is there any way to put a mid mount in that doesn't go between the block and tranny. I thought of making some ears that would mount on the out side of the bell housing. The tranny bolts would go through the ear and then thru the tranny to the block. They would have to quite thin to fit but would add a little extra support. Is this worth it or is it alright just using the front mount and tranny mount.

Thanks again tnku

1 - 6 of 6 Posts