Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if and how long it would hold till boom.  around 580 ft lbs of tq at 5200  launching @ 4000, leaf springs relocated . 391 gears, spool 499. cube . 1/8 mile. 28.5x10.5.  2.45 first gear

Just took the 488's out cause it pulled so good on the bottom end. I installed the tunnel ram last week along with the 391's. HD axles,3" studs, 8 and 9 leafs in springs. My cuda was a bunch heavier and started tearing up the gears quick so I went to a dana. The 60' was a 1.28/29. This darts 60 is a 1.54.  I'm just toying around with. And trying different things out. I've always had E and b bodies. Could use some a body advice.  The car is lighter, but the parts are still the same.  I am just about the only mopar at the local track. So I want to draw attention away from the regular camero,nova,mustang, and S10 truck croud. It's sickening to watch 21/2500 lb chevies thinking their making big power. Were all from small towns and tight budgets, and the track has   NO   tech. Can you believe it?  I see them starting there cars in gear, no fire ex, no cages, shorts, windows down, no helmets. It's sickening. My car will tech. Never seen an ambulance there either. So I try to dot my eyes and cross my T's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a smallblock duster that makes 550 lbs of torque, transbrake,super stock springs and a 8 3/4 with 410 gears and a 30 spine spool. I leave at 5600 rpm and run 1.46-1.60 60 foot times. thats with a 12.5 tire. I have 250 plus runs on the same gears with no sign of any damage. I pull the rearend apart every winter and get the gears magnaflux. [email protected] 130mph with a 416 stroker ,727. and i still street drive it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Baileyton, Alabama. They had a points race there last night, I didn't go, but I would hope an ambulance would be there. Still no tech tho. I think a tech has an extreme importance to racing. SAFETY should always be a priority in any activity. Yes they do have their rules there, but you drive in,right down yer number,and race.
1 rule I hear on the speaker on occasions is, the street cars must remember to turn there a/c off so they don't wet down the track doh ! What a simple life.

·
Registered
311 Posts
sounds like my local track here in North Carolina lol They arent as bad as that one in AL , but i've seen plenty of cars here that had fake roll cages made out of black painted PVC pipe, and drivers wearings shorts and flip flops. I saw one guy show up with pretty fast nova, but he still had the tiny factory 7/16 wheel studs. When he came off the transbrake and launched, all the wheels studs on the right rear sheared off and his tire went bouncing down the track )(/* Anyway, hard to say how long that 8 3/4 will live, lots of guys here have had mixed experiences with them. Some have had good luck, but most have had bad luck when they started throwing decent power at them, especially with a Tbrake. Probably not a question of if it will scatter, just when.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
499dart, I have heard of Baileyton. Heard the fans are standing so close to the track they can bout touch the cars when staging. Think he said they also back up on a big steel plate to do the burnout? Do you know Sammy Hicks? Runs a black Chebby nova. He race's @ sand mtn most of the time. He told me bout the place. Mel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh.. I would think with 1.54 60 fts the 8 3/4 would live. I would have one of the Mark Williams Billit caps put on it. Seen a lot of the stock caps break.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I set my gears up differently>  I read a article years ago about gears. It said to set them up closer to the toe side and to give some side bearing perload so when you leave the line the case flexes and the gears walk in the centre of the pattern. I have only broke on set of main caps and that was with a four speed with a stock sure grip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mopartranman said:
499dart, I have heard of Baileyton. Heard the fans are standing so close to the track they can bout touch the cars when staging. Think he said they also back up on a big steel plate to do the burnout?  Do you know Sammy Hicks? Runs a black Chebby nova.  He race's @ sand mtn most of the time. He told me bout the place. Mel
I believe I have seen the Nova,but haven't met Sammy. It's a small concrete slab for the burn out area. I will see if I got a pic of it. And yes, I have seen them steady each side of cars as they are doing a burn out and bi standers are within 10' of cars launching. I get uneasy myself. I was test driving my new/old 74 challenger a few minutes ago, and was on my way over to the track and a bad storm just moved in. Let me see if I got that pic and check the size of it...ALAN

1 - 10 of 10 Posts