Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about painting my Coronet but, at the moment I really don't want to mess with restoring and installing all the chrome trim. However someday I would like to see it with all its trim on so welding them up is kind of last resort. Is there some kind of filler out there that I could use to fill these trim holes without fear of falling out, cracking, absorbing moisture and bubbling paint, or other ill effect? My body guy doesn't do lead so thats out. What do you guys think? I'm in Kansas and we usually have two seasons HOT & COLD if thats a consideration.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The chrome trim sure would look nice on the Coronet. Other than backing the holes with copper and welding the holes in I have no idea.

Tom

·
Registered
847 Posts
do it once, use the trim

G

·
i did mine with lead. it's not that hard to learn proper lead working skills. it just takes some practice on scrap metal. otherwise i'd use the trim.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured lead would be the best way to go. I'll have to look into it. Is there any kind of concern of the lead falling out or cracking? I agree with you guys about doing it once and right the first time in all but, I really don't want to do a full on body resto at the moment. I just kinda want to fix the exterior rust and have something nice to look at for awhile. It's a 66 Coronet 500 and has a decent amount of trim and alot of it will have to be sent out for replating ect. I'm using the car for racing until I get the Dart done and then I'll do the full on resto. Decisions, Decisions :-\

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
This may sound kinda hokey, but I painted a 69 Charger once and wanted to do it without the vinyl top, but I didn't want to weld the holes closed in case I hated it. I used a product called All Craft Epoxy to close up the holes. It worked perfectly. The holes never cracked or did anything else unusual for the remainder of that car's life. It was three or four years before I lost it in a traffic accident. I would do it again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NYRR496 said:
This may sound kinda hokey, but I painted a 69 Charger once and wanted to do it without the vinyl top, but I didn't want to weld the holes closed in case I hated it. I used a product called All Craft Epoxy to close up the holes. It worked perfectly. The holes never cracked or did anything else unusual for the remainder of that car's life. It was three or four years before I lost it in a traffic accident. I would do it again.
Thanks, I'll do a search on it and see if I come up with anything

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
That's not the stuff. I'll try and see if it's still available. The Por 15 stuff would probably work and I use Permatex Epoxy in mixercups all the time for other sorts of repairs which I also bet would work well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Marine_Tex epoxy. Get it at a marine supply store. It has a 101 uses. Its kinda like JB Weld.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Duster Five-O said:
Marine_Tex epoxy. Get it at a marine supply store. It has a 101 uses. Its kinda like JB Weld.
[]{} my favorite

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Marine Tex is great stuff. I've seen people make some pretty scary repairs with it that have all held.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you guys suppose it would work good for filling trim holes in sheetmetal? So far it looks like either this or POR-15 Por patch is what we are going to try. I plan on trying it on some spare sheetmetal to see how it works. I will call around tomarrow and see if I can find some Marine Tex. We'll see what happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts