Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am prepping my trunk floor for a fuel cell, rate now it is just a flat sheet of steel, will I have to notch the floor for the sump in the cell or can I buy a cell without a sump, the car is a 68 dart and will see mostly steet , thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I bought the 73 Dart Sport that I am rebuilding it had a fuel cell in it. Here are some pictures of what I did to it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
57 Posts
My car has a 16 gal poly cell (w/sump) mounted inside the trunk on 2 pieces of 2 x 2 square tubing mounted parallel to one another to support the cell. The cell is secured with straps bolted to the square tubing. Thus the sump is raised off the trunk floor and no penetration through trunk floor is necessary. I'd post a pic but it was shot in a high res Nikon NEF file that I'm having problems with downloading.

·
Registered
994 Posts
HB69DART said:
My car has a 16 gal poly cell (w/sump) mounted inside the trunk on 2 pieces of 2 x 2 square tubing mounted parallel to one another to support the cell. The cell is secured with straps bolted to the square tubing. Thus the sump is raised off the trunk floor and no penetration through trunk floor is necessary.  I'd post a pic but it was shot in a high res Nikon NEF file that I'm having problems with downloading. 
i'd also like to see a bigger pic of that engine compartement...and spec's

·
Registered
31 Posts
Darren, FBO produce a wheel well mounted tank if that helps ;D

HB69DART, Would love to see more of that car....... :eek:

·
Registered
69 Posts
thebankerstoy, if you look in the second picture there is a blue hose going through the back of the box behind the filler neck. That is the vent for the tank.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My spare well is already cut out, all as I have there now is a flat piece of i8 ga steel, that's why I was wondering if they made a cell with a flat bottom? thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
They do make flat bottom fuel cells. A few of them take the fuel out of the top of the tank. Alot of these are for circle track racing, but can be used on the street. Check Summmitracing for one.

·
Registered
749 Posts
OK....I need help..I know if you ask my wife she will tell you! Pulhair^* Pulhair^* Pulhair^*

My son's 68 Dart had a leak(pin hole) in the stock fuel tank and who know what was learking around inside it..His thoughts were to install a fuel cell in the trunk and also remove the spare tire well..He liked the idea of cleaning up the under side of the car so that you can see the axle and coilovers from the back. Exhaust is not going to be an issue since it will be dump'd out under the car somewhere around the axle.
To me fuel cells take up a lot of room inside the trunk and dont leave room for things like spare tires.. Anyway just a little information about the car and then you can give me your ideas..
The car is going to be 99% street driven and will be using the stock fuel pump on the motor. The fuel tank whether it be a cell in the tank or if a stock like tank goes back under the car it needs to be at least 15 gallons +.. I do like the looks of the tank above that sits in the spare tire well..but will it take the sending unit for the stock gauge????

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
217 Posts
build your own out of aluminum and buy a universal vdo sending unit . you need a tip over vavle in it if your going to race it.im going to build mine so it sits in the spare tire well and still be able to use the stock filler location

·
Registered
363 Posts
My car had an old saddle tank from a pick up stuck in the trunk . I cut the spare tire well right out and riveted a piece of 1/8 " Aluminum down. Under the car I welded a 1/2" square ladder up under the floor. It's plenty strong with out a Lot of weight . I weigh 160 and with me Swinging on it like a crazy monkey I couldn't make it flex in the slightest. Plus I am sure the floor is as strong as original. Painted everthing with "RockGuard" and 3 coats of paint just in case I spill some gas.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
175 Posts
i'm spanning my stock spare tire well ( front to back ) with 2"x1" box steel, and then mounting the cell to it. why not mount some 2"x2" to the flat trunk, and mount the cell to it. that should raise the sump off the floor and let you mount the fuel pump in the trunk, away from the elements (SP).

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
is having the pump, cell, and battery all in the trunk considered a good idea? I see it done alot but for one reason or another it sounds like it "could" be a hazard in a hard collision. (in my humble opinion)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts