Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking for anyone who has installed the TTI 440-200 headers on their big block Dart. I'm working on a 67 Dart GT, 440 w/ Edelbrock Performer top end. Using Schumacher small block to big block adapter kit. TTI swears that this is a straight install, no modifications really needed. They say any problems I have are probably related to the car itself or the k-frame (as they were sloppy in the factory with tolerances). I've attempted to install this several times now and have run in to nothing but problems. Using their guidelines on motor location, I have lined this thing up to within a 1/16" of "factory" specifications. The #3 pipe has an interference with two spots on the steering gear box. The stamped retaining nut on the top of the steering gear box interferes with the #5 pipe. I removed the retaining ring off of an old box to see if that helped clearance, but the #3 pipe issues remain. I've scratched the living snot out of the ceramic coat, so there is no way they are going to give me a full refund on these things. I've measured the car for square per the tech manual instructions...car is square. I've had the engine out and hanging with the k-frame bolted to it, making sure to line it up side-to-side as if it were installed...same result with the steering box. Spoke with the TTI support again today for the umpteenth time and now they are recommending that I cut the steering gear box mounting pad off of the k-frame and move it so that I get more clearance. Has anyone else run into these kind of fitment issues? How did you solve the issues? Does anyone else thing it's a crazy idea to cut the k-frame and modify it for headers that are supposed to fit from the factory?

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
if you have a sb k member when i put 440 in my dart i had to cut k member for oil pump clearance i put a manual steering box in because its smaller than power steering box later i changed to a arm rack coil over kit with no problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem , had to dint the header for clearance at the steering box and both sides at the torsion bars.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
in my experience, headers that have a primary diameter of 2" start to have some fairly serious interference and almost always require 'fitment'. meaning a dent here and there. even some 1 7/8" have issues from time to time.
I have a set of hooker SB A-body headers that someone had installed in a 65 Coronet. more than a couple of clearance adjustments made on those. yes, its a PITA but it doesn't affect performance if you're gentle with your adjustments. as far as getting them scratched, yeah...that sucks. I have seen a few wrap small areas with thermal exhaust wrap to keep them from getting more scratches from the engine vibration banging them into tight areas.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey guys, looking for anyone who has installed the TTI 440-200 headers on their big block Dart. I'm working on a 67 Dart GT, 440 w/ Edelbrock Performer top end. Using Schumacher small block to big block adapter kit. TTI swears that this is a straight install, no modifications really needed. They say any problems I have are probably related to the car itself or the k-frame (as they were sloppy in the factory with tolerances). I've attempted to install this several times now and have run in to nothing but problems. Using their guidelines on motor location, I have lined this thing up to within a 1/16" of "factory" specifications. The #3 pipe has an interference with two spots on the steering gear box. The stamped retaining nut on the top of the steering gear box interferes with the #5 pipe. I removed the retaining ring off of an old box to see if that helped clearance, but the #3 pipe issues remain. I've scratched the living snot out of the ceramic coat, so there is no way they are going to give me a full refund on these things. I've measured the car for square per the tech manual instructions...car is square. I've had the engine out and hanging with the k-frame bolted to it, making sure to line it up side-to-side as if it were installed...same result with the steering box. Spoke with the TTI support again today for the umpteenth time and now they are recommending that I cut the steering gear box mounting pad off of the k-frame and move it so that I get more clearance. Has anyone else run into these kind of fitment issues? How did you solve the issues? Does anyone else thing it's a crazy idea to cut the k-frame and modify it for headers that are supposed to fit from the factory?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't been active for quite some time. I have the TTI 440 headers on my '67 Dart with 496 stroker motor in it. I used a 1/4" steel spacer plate under each motor mount to slightly lift the engine and gain more clearance at the header touch points you describe. I have about 1/8" clearance in the same spots you are touching. I also use an adjustable tie-down to keep the engine from breaking motor mounts .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts