Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am about to ship my 68 Dart away to have the body primed and straightened out, the car now has no tubs, the body man wants me to install the tubs, before he does any work. What I was wondering  was if any of you guys have 36 or 38 tub templates laying around,  Thanks  Darren

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I realize that, what I meant was when a person orders a set of 38" tubs from summit racing, they give you a universal set, what I wanted was A template of a set like that ,Thanks Darren.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys when you get a pair of tubs from summit, do you get inner and outer sides, or just inner? Thanks Darren

·
Registered
376 Posts
you get (2) 1/2 moons and the (2) upper pieces but no instructions

just mock the 2 1/2 moons in and use the card board box they came in and make your templetes.

I used the 36" ones and had to put a couple of dents in the top so that the trunck couold close right

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So when a person installs aftermarket tubs in there car, the outside of the tub mounts to the inside of the quarter panel. Correct. thanks Darren

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of sealer should I use to mount the tubs to the quarter panels? Thanks Darren

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd use the silicone or an automotive sealer/caulk like product. I'd pass on the fiberglass myself, if the tubs are attatched solid to the panel & you get some hard body flex as you would with larger motors you may distort the 1/4 panel.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My body man is concerned about me connecting the tub to the 1/4, and not connecting it to the wheel well lip, like how the original tubs are. He thinks that the 1/4 will be to week, I told him that's how you do it, should I be concerned? Thanks Darren

·
Registered
376 Posts
when you put the tubs in you should tack some braces to the original braces on the top. this will give the tubs themselves some support. you need to leave a little gap (1/8" to 1/4") between the tub and the quarter and then fill it with a flexable non hardening seam sealer . you will be suprized how well it stiffens up the quarter and the tub

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My tubs are completely out now, and when you grab the middle of the wheel well lip and pull lightly it will move, so I guess he is worried about the car vibrating and ruining the body work. now we are debating weather to put the tubs in before of after the body work. Thanks Darren

G

·
to install tubs properly you make a cardboard template of the half moon. tape(or clamp) it to the frame rail. make another card board template from the half moon over to the quarter panel. cutting the cardboard so it fits close. then take that template and lay it over your tin and cut it. then put your tub togetherand install it. you don't need any support on the quarter panel side. just use a silver silicone,

·
Registered
365 Posts
the body guy is right that it will weaken the design and will flex.

the uni-body design depends on the quarter and inner to be welded or bonded somehow for it's strength by making a rigid boxed section.

this is all different if the car is going to have a frame/cage put in it,then the issue of using the quarter and inner for strength is no problem.

i would use the channel/mini-tub method if no further frame or cage work was to be done.

there are real good adhesives out there but these have special directions that must be followed, unlike a weld this stuff can be laid right over undercoat and rust and still look good but be useless for strength.

·
Registered
194 Posts
And once the tubs are installed and you shut the trunk. doh o[ OK..try to shut the trunk. You will be modifying your hinges. I use a pair of trunk hinges off of a 75 4 dr Coronet. The trunk don't open as far, but it will shut.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a brand new in the box set of summit steel tubs, never used them, are you in the market for them? give you a good deal on 'em... i think they are 36", can check if you care...

[email protected]

joel

·
Registered
86 Posts
MAN.......THIS IS GETTIN' GOOD ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts