Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a post at one time but I can't find it but I want to finish underneath and I am wondering what to use. What I thought about doing is painting things like K-Frame, rear end, ladder bar setup, and ect in a low gloss black and the rest, floor frame rails and tubs body color. What I am wondering is do I use an epoxy primer for best protection and what black should I use?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Check out "caper's" ride in the member gallery...the underside of his dart is amazing....he'll be able to tell you what he did...if your results are half what his is, you'll be happy

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've had my Scamp sandblasted and I'm gonna paint the floor also, but with one exception, I'm going to use Spray Seam Sealer inside the fenders and rear wheel tubs, but it will also be painted over.

You can go to this link http://www.lordfulfillment.com/upload/UI3007.pdf
or do a search for sprayable seam sealer and go from there. This method is very very stone resistant as the seam sealer goes on as thick as you want to put it on and is like a superball after it cures. Just m.h.o.  Jeff :-\

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, for the rest I'm just gonna paint and clear it just like the top side, with one exception.. I might use the PPG ceramic clear, or PPG's "anti-graffiti clear" they put that stuff on the outside of mass transit busses and trains. Tough as stone but huge money. Its a Polyurethane clear instead of just Acrylic urethane, very different curing and cross linking processes when they cure (dry). so, anything that happens to get stuck on the bottom of my car will just wash off, and at worst I might have to use some sort of spirit based cleaner, all the way up to and including lacquer thinner with no harm coming to the gloss and hold out. not even gas will hurt it! so the spray seam sealer is just for rock damage protection, more as a cushion from impact in direct line of fire from the tires. Hope this winded explanation helps you decide. I've actually done this before on a couple of Porsche repairs as thats what they do at the factory, no ceramic clear though, just spray seamsealer and paint. I'm not doing it everywhere cause I dont want to look at the roughness of it under the paint. The fenders I can live withcause I'd have to corkscrew my head in there to see it anyway same with the tubs.

·
Registered
847 Posts
automan, []{} i posted kinda the same thing on the other thread ........i worked in a porsche shop also, back in the 80s and early 90s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.