Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody

I have two questions which will probably can be categorized in the "bone head category". 

1)  I am trying to remove the control arm upper ball joints on my 1965 Barracuda with the larger ball joint socket (1973 and up A body (ø = 1.915")) and I can not get them to budge.  Does anybody know any tricks to getting these off.  I have been using a large breaker bar and have soaked the joints in oil.  Is there anything else I can do? 

2) My car is a 1965 barracuda with a disc brake upgrade.  I need to rebuild the front end but I need to verify the year of my front end.  As I mentioned above the Upper control arm is from a 1973 and up A body.  Since the upper control arm is from a 1973 and up A body is it safe to assume I can order a 1973 and up rebuild kit for the front end?  Or are some of the front end parts interchangeable with 1966-1972 A body front end parts?

Thank you for any help and have a good day

·
Registered
15 Posts
Leaving the upper control arm attached to the car I used some stuff call
PB Blaster and let it sit over night. Next day went out using the special
socket with a half inch breaker bar and a cheater bar on the end and both
of mine came right out. (70 Dart Swinger) Good luck with yours!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i use a small torch with a fat flame to heat stuff but not too hot then spray some penetrating oil. the heat expands the part a bit allowing the oil in the gap. you may want to get some other opinions on heating control arms though. anyone else?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Use an impact, that'll get them out. That's what I had to do to my 73.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My socket is 3/4 drive and I use a breaker bar and long pipe like Jim says. Had to use a map gas torch on one project. When using the cheater it is nice if someone can hold the socket flush on the ball joint.

mike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Impact shoud do it. Or use a long breaker bar for leverage. Well... I must be a total moron.  ;D ;D Cause i tack weld them in when i replace them on drag cars. Seen several pop out race cars that carry the front wheels alot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mopartranman said:
Impact shoud do it. Or use a long breaker bar for leverage.  Well... I must be a total moron.  ;D ;D Cause i tack weld them in when i replace them on drag cars. Seen several pop out race cars that carry the front wheels alot.
[]{} I've tack welded a few myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts