Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a '73 dodge 1 ton fleet van with manual steering. I read the moparts archive on this topic but it has no pictures does not explain the job very well. It may make more sense once I remove the parts off the van but I have to go back with a roll pin punch later this week to do the job. Does anybody have this on their car and any photos they can post of the parts needed and installed? Any info on this conversion is greatly appreciated. Thanks Dave

·
Registered
283 Posts
i don't have any pics. but you need to use the streeing extension with the coupler. the extension is the same as the ones firm steer sells, as for the roll pin. don't waste you time with an old one get a new one from chrysler. p/n 6028750 for 1.75.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know a guy who has that setup in his Valiant, and it works great; but I have yet to find a van in the junkyards around here with one...that adapter is the last piece I need to complete my conversion.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I needed the punch so I can can remove the coupler off the steering box in the van. I will use a new roll pin when I install it. Do I need part of the steering shaft too? The coupler (cup piece with the splines and roll pin) does not look any longer than any other one I've seen. The van definitely has a large sector manual steering box in it. This van also had A100 seats a good small block 727 and a dana 60. I know the guy who had it behind his shop for years and he said I could have what I wanted off it for $150 and he would scrap what was left. I am still surprised at all the cool goodies it had on it. More stuff to add the pile thats allready in the garage. I am such a pack rat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to bust your bubble, but the only thing you're getting off that '73 van for column adaptor pieces is the manual coupler.
There is no adaptor to convert a power column to a manual column.
Not on a '73 van, anyway.

Mark.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Since when is Blow-It-Aparts the end all, or know all, of Mopars?
I spent more time over there correcting a good amount of the stuff some people posted!

Apparently the link above still hasn't been corrected, either.

Mark.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Mark that's why I aked what's up. It sure did not make any sense to me. At least I have a manual box coupler now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
mischiefdart, I'll set the record straight on this piece and tell you guys where the FACTORY part comes from.
I believe I have made this statement on B.B.D., before.

In 1978 Mopar revised it's van steering columns to provide the anti-theft steering column, with the ignition switch located in the steering column.
Rather than have 2 steering columns, 1 for power steering, 1 for manual, Mopar decided to do only the power columns as an assembly, fully knowing that there would be instances of fleet or base model orders.
To accomodate those substatially fewer orders, the adaptor/coupler was used when power steering was not optioned.

The Firm Feel-Flaming River piece is a direct copy in almost every respect EXCEPT the MoPar piece used the LARGE spline diameter to mate the adaptor to the manual coupler, whereas the FF/FR piece uses the small diameter, power steering coupler splining.

To my knowledge the MoPar stock piece was used from 1978 through @ 1984 or 1985, as that is what I have obtained the few that I have had.
They very well may have been produced much later.

I have looked at the van service manuals from 1978 through 1985, and they do not break down this particular part, the closest they get it broken down to is the pot coupler, but the part number for the adaptor itself has eluded me to this point.

All this having been said, in the time I've had since figuring this out, I've only found 6 or 7 of these assemblies, which makes them pretty hard to find, actually.

Mark.

·
Registered
283 Posts
p/n 4037651, can still be bought at chrysler for,no.bs for$ 268.00 doh glad i found one .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Damn, jet-taz, where'd you pull that part number from?
I must've missed it in the parts books somehow.
Or i just need to learn how to read. :D

That price makes FF's deal seem cheap!

Mark.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The extension is also available through Mopar Perforamance under p/n P4510637
and priced a lot better!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the photo NitroFixx. The van I found does not have the extender. That is why it did not make any sense to me. I may just lengthen the steering shaft in my Dart to reach the manual box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts