Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run into a slight issue on my challenger and cannot use a panhard bar to locate the rear end. For some reason, I'm not a fan of diagonal links either. I guess from that statement you have already figured out that I have a ladder bar rear suspension. I need to have the rear end located in the center of the car at all times, and panhard rods travel an arc and make one tire get closer to the wheel well. The only thing that I have found to take care of this situation is a watts link. Now, as most of you may know, there is not a kit out there for our good ol mopars (to my knowledge...and I'm not fond of paying 600 bucks for something that I can build). So, I plan on building my own watts link for my challenger.....

Anyone out there got any suggestons for me? I've seen 2 styles of watts link. One has the "propeller" mounted on a frame that bolts to the rear end housing cover (over it) and the other has a frame that attaches to the vehicle's frame that the propeller pivots on, and then the rod ends are attached to the rear end housing in some manner. Is there any difference in the way that these two different designs handle, or react?

Any suggestions or literature that I need to read up on would be appreciated. ;D Stay tuned for pics of the design and build of this watts link....you never know, you might want to build one for yourself! -o

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have seen watts linkage under some late model ford stuff. The town car and the big suv's if I remember correctly. You might be able find one of them in a scrap yard. Ford runs the center pivot on the front of the diff at an angle. I don't know how wide the linkage is but it might work for you.

G

·
You want to mount the watts link pivot on the car and keep as little weight on the rear as possible to keep the spung weight down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, there was a good article on the Watt's linkage in the Mar. 05 issue of " Classic Trucks" mag
they show the installation of a billet piece from Totally Polished, www.totallypolished.com (805) 522-2222
it was about 500 bucks for the kit at the time of publication. i need one for my 57 hotrod pickup, and thought as you that i would build one, but here i am a yer + later still needing one, and that aluminum does look good! if you have the equipment to make them out of aluminum, let me know, maybe i'll buy one from you. Doug

G

·
Did you look at using a wishbone to locate the rear? With the ladder bars it should work just fine and be cheaper and easier to install. The totally polished kit looks cool but I dont think you want to add all that weight an the axle. If you look at any of the roadrace setups the pivot is almost always on the body.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I've seen some wishbones, but I'm not too experienced with where they attach.. I thought that they were a favorite for the four link guys. I'll have to research that one too.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts