Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help me out I'm considering tackling this myself and it seems like a big job so I wanna get all the help I can get. So any input like welders, techniques, etc. I have an idea on how and I am supposed to do it because of those tech slots on tv like trucks. Like spot welding every inch and slowly closing the gap keeping the metal cool or it'll warp.

·
Registered
543 Posts
don't take this wrong, there are others here that can help you, so listen to them, we are all here to help that's why this is a great site.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
What are you welding? Do you have a machine yet. Like Azz said, if you are using mig, .023 wire with gas; no flux core! Stitch and move around allowing the metal to cool or it will warp. It doesn't take much. Turn the heat down as low as practical with relative wire speed and move quickly. Too slow of a puddle speed will blow through so you want to move fairly quickly. A very small wiggle from side to side helps tie in the two peices together. The wiggle also helps spread the heat from the puddle around helping eliminate blow through.

The steel must be clean or the filler will not puddle. I use a wire wheel on a grinder for structural and abrasive pads on an air tool for finish work.

Thanks for the compliments dangerdog. There are alot of capable welders on this site. jamesdart can weld anything together as well as...

Will the real eldubb440 please stand up.  o----o<>

Tom

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No no machine yet I was hoping the find out what i need for sheetmetal first. Like something I could use for my relocated Springs and my quarterpanels, rockers, etc.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This will open up a debate like the Dana vs 8.75.

IMO, there is no comparison between a 110 and 230 vac mig machine. Get yourself a 230 vac Miller 175 mig. It will last you forever. Try www.cyberweld.com. Buy the tip cleaning tool. You don't need the cart or the little cylinder. The weld supply shops can't touch their prices. Get yourself a 140 ft3 cylinder from a weld supply shop with 75/25 gas. Get a buddy to get you contractor's price on the cylinder. Refills are about $55 but you won't runout of gas.

Hobart and Lincoln make great machines also, I am just a Miller guy. We have their spray arc, SMAW and TGAW machines at the shop including 3-8 packs that have run flawlessly for 10 years.

Tom

·
Registered
847 Posts
b569rr said:
Will the real eldubb440 please stand up. o----o<>
never claimed to be a welding expert, but i have a lot of experience on these old rusty junkers. experience is the best teacher, practice, practice, practice.... use plug welds where spot welds used to be... butt weld small patches..... flange and overlap long runs; dont run beads, skip around......i like working close to major body lines when hanging quarters and patch panels, the body lines help maintain ridgidity against warping. i also prefer to prime my bare metal pieces before installation, then i clean the areas to be welded and coat with weld-thru primer. its impossible to eliminate rusting completely, but i try. may i sit down now? 8)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
**(*) dang problem with that tom is I have no 220V plug I only have the 110V plug ins and I don't think my dad's gonna install a 220V just because. Anything similar is a 110V?

yes eldubb440 you can sit down now thanks for the comments where would I find weldable primer?

·
Registered
847 Posts
automotive paint suppliers have it. i assume welding suppliers have it also. its a little pricey, dont waste it. good luck

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool thanks I'm hoping I can do it myself and save some cash damn quarterpanels are so expensive it'll take me almost one whole paycheck for one quarterpanel )(/*

·
Registered
137 Posts
if you have room in your fuse pannel it is easy to hookup a 220 outlet just mount it close to the box it will be cheap and just get a long extention for your welder so it can reach all around your shop.

G

·
i ran my LINCOLN 230v off an extension cord that i plugged into the clothes dryer socket for a while. just a thought boom[]

·
Registered
78 Posts
eldubb440 said:
automotive paint suppliers have it. i assume welding suppliers have it also. its a little pricey, dont waste it. good luck
I buy it at walmart. ;D

·
Registered
847 Posts
drew54 said:
eldubb440 said:
I buy it at walmart. ;D
didnt know they had it.......gotta love wal-mart -0*(

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
ifit is not practical or possible for you to run 230v for your welder, you can get away with a 135-140 amp machine. its always nice to have more though. i have one of the smaller migs, it does just about everything i need to one a car. when it comes time to do my cage, it will get tigged though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I with jamesdart, I have a hobart 140 120v machine and it does everything I need to do on a car. It's on the lowest voltage setting doing thin sheet metal. If you're doing a lot of heavy stuff, you'll need a 230 welder, like building battleships.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys...do you think there is any benefits in leaving the undercoating on the surrounding areas of a panel you are welding on, like filling the trim holes down the side on my 70 swinger.I know you have to grind the area you are welding on but I wonder if you leave the undercoat on the backside of the quarters and others panels if it would help with distortion and warping. I have alot of holes to fill, I will be striping it down to bare metal anyway but just wondering if leaving that on might help.

Thanks
X

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
xxxhemi said:
Hey guys...do you think there is any benefits in leaving the undercoating on the surrounding areas of a panel you are welding on, like filling the trim holes down the side on my 70 swinger.I know you have to grind the area you are welding on but I wonder if you leave the undercoat on the backside of the quarters and others panels if it would help with distortion and warping. I have alot of holes to fill, I will be striping it down to bare metal anyway but just wondering if leaving that on might help.

Thanks
X
If there is undercoating on the backside of the weld area you could start a fire as it is flammable.

You also do not want to breathe the fumes from burning undercoating.

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sure hope your welding turns out better than my attempt **(*) boom[].IT aint pretty but it seems to be holding well. I am doing a lot of grinding too. Sure wish I had a gas setup to use with my mig. By the way, anybody else have problems with trunk floor extension not fitting to the quarter right?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts