Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
befor you all come back with the obvious answers its not that simple, im putting 33x21.5-15 micky thompsons on the rear of my 72 dart with a ford 9" axle, firstly should i position the axle in its original position (ie retain original wheelbase) or is it advisable to move it back or forward for strip use? secondly what is the easiest way to strech the wheel openings to accept these tires? sory if this seems like a stupid question but ive never atempted this sort of thing before and being in englnd (uk) not a lot of people her play with darts.
any ideas, thoughts greatly welcomed. tnku

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's a pretty big hunk of rubber.Look in the tech section.There is info and pics on how to stretch you wheel openings.Sorry if i'm missing the obvious but with a tire that big i'm guessing your running wheel tubs(or are going to)and if you are than why worry about the openings when you don't need to mess with them at all when you are running wheel tubs?Except for actually cutting the inside portion.Sorry if i'm not on the same page.Just curious.No sense in making extra work for yourself.Good luck on the project.

carl

·
Registered
164 Posts
Moving the axle forward is the most common modification. The weight transfer to the rear tires is improved and helps the car get a better lauch. My `70 Dart has a dana 60 and minitubs with the axle in the stock position. I would not move the axle very far forward or you won't be able to keep the nose down. As far as stretching the wheel openings goes I would use new sheet metal and graft it into the existing quarter panel.

G

·
i think it would have to be back-halved to get that much meat in there.in which case you can put forward about an inch or two.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers guys, im building a complete new chasis from front to rear, if i dont modify the wheel openings it will be dificult to remove the wheels without disconecting the dampers o----o<>, it will be on four link with a diagonal locator so i can position it anywhare within reason, stu would an inch or two make a lot of diference on the strip? if i do move it should i move the front wheels forward to retain the wheel base???

G

·
i'm not sure how much it will improve performance,but it will.it will look better too.moving the front end would take alot of work and i would prob. need a sraight axle.

G

·
trevd said:
befor you all come back with the obvious answers its not that simple, im putting 33x21.5-15 micky thompsons on the rear of my 72 dart with a ford 9" axle, firstly should i position the axle in its original position (ie retain original wheelbase) or is it advisable to move it back or forward for strip use? secondly what is the easiest way to strech the wheel openings to accept these tires? sory if this seems like a stupid question but ive never atempted this sort of thing before and being in englnd (uk) not a lot of people her play with darts.
any ideas, thoughts greatly welcomed. tnku
Hi Trev
Like they had mentioned prior , the forward possition is theoretically the way to go . Practically , leave the wheel base as is. To answer your other question, re; the wheel opennings ; The old way was to go the route of the 68 ' Hurst jobs and cut the pannels out . the next like mine, is to cut the fore and aft of the wheel openning to clear. And , i suppose the "real" way to do it, is to section out metal and stretch the wheel openning to clear. Here a shot of mine . Best of luck !
Chryco ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers guys, Chryco your rubber looks close to the body, is this ok? i will probably go with your method of extending as it seems easier than recreating all the original contours of the pannel.although the look of the early cars looks good i do want to keep it looking as near stock as possible.

G

·
trevd said:
cheers guys, Chryco your rubber looks close to the body, is this ok? i will probably go with your method of extending as it seems easier than recreating all the original contours of the pannel.although the look of the early cars looks good i do want to keep it looking as near stock as possible.
Yeah, it`s run that way for years without problems . It`s the verticle movement that`s critical as the car is not street driven and cornering is not an issue.
Cheers
Chryco ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.