Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was poking around on some other boards and noticed someone using lead instead of bondo as a filler. Are there any advantages to it? I know the obvious disadvantage is more weight. I kinda like sound of this oldschool method. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
227 Posts
lead is defintely a lost art.actually i got to do it 1 time and that was about 16 years ago.It was pretty cool the way you had to use the oil and paddle.bondo is definitely lighter and much easier to work with.Done correctly and you definitely get many quality years out of it.I would stick with body filler.Oh,and good luck finding that 90 yr. old bodyman to come and do the lead work for you.Definitely cool,but old school. 8)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Eastwood sells body lead kits and a videao to show you how to do it. Lead is great for welded seems but will still need a think coat of filler over it to fill any pi holes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is nothing wrong with body filler if done the right way which means dont put it on 3/4" thick lol. Lead is old school and was used back when Bondo was very bad to use or not around. I have only used lead once or twice before so i don't profess to know lots about it but the old guy im my shop is good at it and i have watched him a few times. It is mostly used now for guys that want a original old school type resto where they replace the factory lead, or somewhere like the bottom of a 1/4 panel that is prone to rust. The best way is just to work the metal straight then spray some EPOXY primer then a light coat of body filler.

·
Registered
847 Posts
[]{}....lead was used when the metal on cars was much thicker.....the thinner metal will warp under the heat required to melt the lead. i broke into restorations 20 years ago in a porsche only shop (my gtx got no respect!). ive actually skim-coated entire cars with mud. and the epoxy primer is a must(under and on top). was usin the stuff in the eightys! hey lars, wheres the chick with the boobs? i miss her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts