Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost have everything I need to put the front suspension back together on my 66. I still need to buy new torsion bars.

1) Do torsion bars come with new boots and clips when you buy them, or do I need to order those seperately?

2) What do I need to replace in the lower control arm? I already plan on taking them off in order to box them. Is there a bushing in the lower control arm that needs to be replaced?

I noticed the kit I got from summit didn't have anything for the lower arms. Thanks once again for the help guys! I don't know what I'd do without this site. I think its time for a christmas donation to BBD.

Thanks,
Evan

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
1. Torsion bars don't come with clips or boots.

2. LCAs usually need the bushing replaced. It is usually the hardest bushing to do on the front end. A press is teh easiest way, but you will still need to remove the bushing shells. The outer shell comes out the easiest if you weld a large washer to the inside and press it out. The inner shell that's left on the pivot pin will need to be stretched. I usually close the vice to about half the width of the shell and set it on the jaws and hit with a hammer. Rotate the pin to get a good stretch all the way around. It will eventually slip right off.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats an awesome help Jim! Thanks a bunch. Do the pivots ever need to be replaced? I just want to make sure the lower arm is as good as new when it goes back in. Also, Is there a place to get urethane lower control arm bushings. For some reason, the kit I got from Energy Supsension didn't come with lower bushings. Maybe because they are such a bitch.

G

·
Jim_Lusk said:
Don't use poly for the lower bushing. It is not a tight enough fit and the LCA can walk around. But, if you use poly the bushing shells need to remain in place.
thats what i alwas thought,i called just suspension and he recomended the poly's.i think i'm still going to go with rubber as i've heard more people recomend them,just thought i'd throw it out there.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay that helps. I guess I should just go with a moog unit and be done with it. Are there any other wear items on a lower control arm?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great, thanks a lot for the help Jim! I already have the strut rod bushings. They were in the kit. Now I have to do a search for a good article on torsion bar removal. I've never gone this deep into a suspension rebuild before. Should be pretty interesting. I'll certainly have some pics to show everyone.

Thanks again,
Evan

G

·
Hey Evan; the torsion bars aren't as bad as I had thought. (I have never worked on a suspension before) I imagined them to be a nightmare. I bought an A body suspension kit from "American Muscle" and it came with a clamp for the torsion bar removal/install. Here it is. I'm sure with your talent you can fab something up for it easily enough. You just need something that clamps on tight that you can pound on. Here's the tool. On another note; I'm trying to picture the lower control arm bushings you are tslking about, and how they are removed/replaced? Are these it? Here's some pics

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Ken, Thanks for the pics. I should definitely be able to make a tool like that. Looks like just a u-bolt with a peice of steel to pound on. Jim Lusk has a good description on how to take the bushings out a few responses up. When all else fails, pull out the torch and a big hammer.

G

·
all cars are different,some are a pain to take out and you need the tool,in my case i removed everything and the bars came out by hand with harrdley any effort or tools.i have a tool coming in the mail this week to replace the bushing in the lca,if for some reason you need it you can borrow it any time,never used one we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I've got poly bushing everywhere. The only bushing that my kit did not include was the LCA bushings. doh Should I go with rubber or poly for these?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts