Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just looking for some input on what front clutch retainer to run for a street driven mild (for now) HP car. I have seen many of the pictures on here when they fail and it has my attention. I plan on the Mancini bolt in sprag and a low band apply VB.

Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
485 Posts
Call John Cope at CRT trannys.He is the Mopar trans guy.He will tell you just what you need.Rocky

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
ok, a 3 clutch drum will be fine at the very least. the 3 gear planetaries are fine also. i've used them to race in my first bracket hotrod.the bolt in sprag is the one part that is touted to be most needed and it's really not. it's only in use in first gear and if you use your head it will not ever fail. the low gear apply valvebody is up to you but it does help the sprag in the way that it doesn't let the first gear freewheel like some of the other vb's.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about the front drum ???
If so it sould be a steel drum for street use aluminum track only.
Yes The Drum. Is the OEM one OK or do I need to buy an after market unit for safty?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, a 3 clutch drum will be fine at the very least. the 3 gear planetaries are fine also. i've used them to race in my first bracket hotrod.the bolt in sprag is the one part that is touted to be most needed and it's really not. it's only in use in first gear and if you use your head it will not ever fail. the low gear apply valvebody is up to you but it does help the sprag in the way that it doesn't let the first gear freewheel like some of the other vb's.
Thanks for the info

This unit came with a 4 clutch retainer, it has a little surface rust but no pitting.

This is the probably the reason it got sold. I bought it for $40 as a core but thought I'd take a look inside. Most things are in pretty fair shape. It look like the rear Planet may be toast also.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes The Drum. Is the OEM one OK or do I need to buy an after market unit for safty?
It's your call, lots of people run the stock drum with any problems ,but if the sprag fails you could be hurt bad.
Like Bob said it should be fine if your carfull.
I run a stock drum in mine but use a trans blanket just in case.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have run the stock drum and some fair amounts of torque.
The key is no first gear burnouts. Boltin sprag is a good addition,
but with a street car you are good to go with the bolt in and
rear band apply.
My street car (Steel bodied Dart) ran 10.80s and I didnt have a bolt in sprag, just the low apply VB

By the way in your pic the rear band anchor is broken where the support goes together.

Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts