Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious what you guys considered to be the minimum distance between the rear wheels and the leaf spring to be "safe". My 18x9.5 and 18x8.5 wheels just showed up yesterday for my '83 Imperial. I wasn't going to buy wheels yet as the 400 isn't in it yet, but I got a heck of a deal on the wheels. When I get the garage cleaned out later this afternoon, I was going to fit them up and do some measuring just to be sure of the fit.

·
Registered
994 Posts
well sine on a leaf spring suspension their is really no binding when turning fast like say a ladder bar rear i'd say minimum finger clearence, those 9.5 i would imagine are going to be tight on my 67 8.5 are to wide for the stock spring location and had to be relocated, but just sit them up in their and see where you are at and adjust from their good luck

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Super Moderator
1,437 Posts
mine miss the stock located springs by MAYBE a half inch.  Ive been keeping a close eye on them and see no tell tale signs of the two meeting.  it should also be noted that I dont try and drift the car, so lateral forces on my ride are kept to a street-sane minimum. longitudinally however...is a different story.

0/

mi dos centavos

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like a half inch, however ive seen less work fine.on a drag car 1/4 is o.k. when you spin the tires they grow upward more so than outward.but on a street driven boat i would say 3/8" minimum.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I a rear wheel up to the driver's side last night just to see how it looked and I should be fine. With the +20 offset, the 9.5" wide wheel fits and since the lower profile tires won't have much of a "shoulder" when mounted, I should still have about 1/2" behind and about the same at the lip of the quarter. I might roll the lip just to be safe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On a typical low-profile tire, you can get away with 6mm - about 1/4", according to some of the guys who race with similar wheels/tires to what you've got.  Since the spring and wheel move together, it's more or less a fixed distance.  Sidewall isn't going anywhere with a 35 or 40 series tire.

Clair

·
Registered
994 Posts
clair said:
On a typical low-profile tire, you can get away with 6mm - about 1/4", according to some of the guys who race with similar wheels/tires to what you've got.  Since the spring and wheel move together, it's more or less a fixed distance.  Sidewall isn't going anywhere with a 35 or 40 series tire.

Clair
Hey Clair are those 18's on your car? I like....

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are 96-97 Cobra wheels. They're 17x9 and not too popular with the Mustang crowd. You can usually get them fairly cheap. I've always liked them, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.