Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I`m thinking of back halfing my car my self.I have a 110 mig with gas bottle will this do it ?

thanks mike

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
110 amp output? that sounds like an odd size. the only way to really tell if it will work or not, as you are the one running it, is to try welding some scrap together of the same thickness an dtest it. see what it takes to make it fail. i have one of the very small lincoln migs. i think it is 100 amps. it almost never sees anything less than the highest heat setting but im pretty surprised with the things i have welded with it. some day im going to buy a bigger mig. i think the best thing you can do with a mig, is make everything fit up with some sort of gap or bevel the edges.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
[]{} I agree with jamesdart that you will have to test the machine out. I welded up a guys Art Morrisson rear clip with HIS Lincoln 135 (115vac) at HIS house. It did the job but I had it cranked up. Like james said, I intentionally leave a gap for that first root pass then cover with a wash or fillet. So after I've been pushing the 230vac machines, the 115's can work.

Tom

·
Registered
805 Posts
Any welding needed to be done on metals from 3/8" to 5/16" should be welded with nothing less than a 220volt mig. TIG welding is really the way to go, but a 220v mig will work if you are a competent welder.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a Miller 175 , 220V mig that works really nice from small stuff(sheet metal) to medium stuff (1/4"). I don't usually weld much thicker than that( i'm a bodyman).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts