Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 400 in my 68 and Im thinking that the best I can do is the stock unit.
I have the stock type edelbrock aluminum intake, stck hood and schumacher mounts.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have been on a long quest for an air cleaner that will both look unique and fit in my "street only" 1968 Dart with a 383 BB. I have a Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold topped with an Eddy 1407 (750cfm) carb.

Currently, I have a generic looking recessed-base chrome Trans-Dap 14" diameter air filter with a 2" filter element,

and this fits about right under my standard GTS hood. But IMHO a standard round filter looks kinda common and boring, so next I'm trying this:

It's probably not gonna flow any better than my existing one, but at least it looks different.. 8)

·
Registered
400 Posts
K&N! :D _-_-_

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey Guzzmike - one backfire and that new filter will flow real good, almost like its not there. Waitaminute -  it won't be. )(/*
I like the K & N. Think about suppression,filtering, and air flow, IMHO

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had tried one of the 80.00 Mopar brushed aluminum and that was a no go. I guess a low profile after market ir even a stock unit?
I have a lot of time in the flame job. always worried about the Holley burpping fire and scorching my paintwork under the hood.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Homemade dual snorkel stock type set-up with extra holes on the back side and underneath the housing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I made my own air cleaner. I couldn't find an air cleaner with a low enough profile. I only had 2 1/4" to the hood.

Bruce

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
185 Posts
So would you guys who have the K&N say that they are worth the big cost up front? I was looking at them becuse it's time to replace the paper element that I have on mine and I've always like the look of those K&Ns.

G

·
my 440 has shumaker mounts torker2 intake , holley and a standard moroso 14x3 air cleaner and even room for a 1 in spacer. when i run the spacer part of my underhood bracing touches the corner of the lid...... just barley and its on the right side not the torque side!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Perfect timing. I have a very nice K&N air cleaner for sale. Its chrome and has a 3 inch K&N element. Its also a drop base for clearance to the hood. All this for ONLY $40. pm me or email [email protected] I believe its 14 inches in diameter.

don

·
Registered
404 Posts
mine is a small block but it's a K&N it's about 2" high and about 10" in diam. and that barely fits under my hood

·
Registered
490 Posts
Funny, I just posted almost the same question a couple weeks ago... I had some concerns about whether i could fit a factory black wrinkle air cleaner into my 73 Swinger 383. With the hood off it, looking from the side the aircleaner stuck above the fender line, I was pissed. I'd just paid big bucks for it. Happy to report though, that it does fit with about 1/2" of clearance. I think my measurement was about 3 5/8". the air cleaner is approx 3 1/2". i ripped out the ratty insulation and i have over 1/2" clearance now. I'm using an Edelbrock performer and shumacher mounts.

hope this helps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts